Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequency Conversion Circuit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krgoodwin

Mechanical
May 9, 2013
CA
Hello,

I am trying to design a circuit capable of dividing a 70Hz - 5.7kHz square wave signal down to a 1Hz - 1kHz square wave signal. The exact output frequency must be adjustable.

I am currently working with a PIC16F631 chip and had some luck with low frequencies <300Hz using if statements and counting the input pulse. extremely simplified the code was:

if input on, run timer
if input off, stop timer
multiply timer value by x to get y
switch output every y

I then tried using the interrupts built into the chip but the results ended up worse than with the if statements.

I am not an electronics guy and have zero experience in designing circuits. Is the PIC chip even a good architecture for me to be attempting this on? I am not stuck with the PIC, I just chose it because it looked simple and I could program it in C. Is there anything pre-built out there that can accomplish what I am trying to do? Any help would be welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You still have stipulated the accuracy requirements and how the two ranges relate. Is any frequency from the output supposed to be available for any input frequency? What resolution? What accuracy?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back