Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Friction Isolator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar88

Civil/Environmental
May 19, 2015
DE
Hallo ,

I´m having an issue with Friction Isolator. I´ve defined a SDOF-System (look attachment). There is a single mass in x-Direction (200). I´ve defined a stiffness in U1 and U2 direction (nonlinear).

Now I want to change the Friction coefficient (slow and fast) to calculate the displacements of the mass-point. But it does not matter what i choose for the value , the displacement is always the same!

For the Load case I´ve defined a time history function and a ramp-function (this is for the vertical Load of the friction Isolator).

I hope someone can help me.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e5d7f0ec-ae5a-44a1-8797-7f8c87ade1f5&file=Friction_Isolator.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Judging from your graphic, you'll need weight in the vertical direction in order to account for friction. If the link local 1 axis is in global +Z, then you'll need to input a fairly rigid stiffness in the local 1 direction of the friction link and input friction coefficients in the local 2 and 3 directions.

Load case(s) needs to be specified as Nonlinear.

Hi stressed,

thanks for your advice! I´ve forgotten to define weight. This is how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back