Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frost Depths 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIT2

Structural
Apr 9, 2003
US
Wisconsin Enrolled Commercial Building Code and BOCA both, similarly state "...foundation walls, piers and other permanent supports of buildings and structures ...shall extend below the frost line of the locality.

As a general rule in my area of Wisconsin, we assume frost levels to be 40-48" below grade. This, however, has only been, to my knowledge, a well-accepted common assumption.

I need to determine the frost depth in Philips, Wisconsin, which is further north from my area.

Does anyone have or know of a handy map, chart or useful reference showing frost depths per locality?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used 48" depth in that area for more than 30 years. You could call any one of the Dept of Comm. S&Bldg. divisions and they'll clue you in.

If you find one let me know, I am still looking. See my question thread256-74708. With all those answers I still can not find a map showing the actual frost depth for specific locations.

See
You need to click on 82.30, scroll down, click 'More' about 4 times until you reach Comm 82.30(11)(c)2.d. Then load a 56 page pdf file.
Map of frost zones is Figure 82.30-1 (on page 12 of file);
Table of frost depths per type of (backfilled) soil & frost zone is Table 82.30-6 on following page.

Results: Phillips is in Price County --> Zone C.
Predicted Depth per Soil type in Zone C:
Clay & clay loam 3.5 feet, Silt loam & silty clay loam 4.5, Sandy clay loam 5.5, Sandy loam & loamy sand 6.0, Sand 6.5, gravelly sand 9.0 feet.
This was in the Plumbing Section re minimum burial depths.

You can search Wisconsin statutes from
I also found references to the following document which may be of interest:
U.S. Army (1985) Pavement design for seasonal frost conditions. U.S. Army Technical Manual TM 5-818-2.

Call the building inspector, he should know what is required and is going to issue a construction permit at some point and you might as well get to know him.

baueng;

I have contacted Wis Comm Dept. The plan reviewer I spoke with told me frost depth is no longer considered as part of the Wis plan review.

pbonarrigo;

Check out (kenvlach) for Wis, and (PEinc) for extreme depths. Both helpful.

kenvlach;

Thank you, very much, for your time and effort.

PEinc;

Thank you, very much, for your time and effort. The values on the map are definitely extreme.

jheidt2543;

I will contact the local inspector. Thank you!

To all:

Dependant upon the significance of the project, I recommend hiring a soils engineer to obtain all pertinent information necessary for designing an adequate foundation. I will be receiving a soil report for my project in a few weeks. I just wanted some early insight for various reasons.

Thank you all for your time, effort and support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back