Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Frustrated Structural Engineer Needing Help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmv08

Civil/Environmental
Jul 21, 2014
QA
It’s been over two years now since I started working and up to now, I can say that I am still inexperienced because I’ve been into jobs of entirely different fields. Ever since I was in college, I always wanted to become a Structural Engineer but due to some unexpected events and circumstances (long story), I was forced to take jobs that had higher pay compared to that of a new structural engineer even though I know that my heart is into structural engineering. I never wanted to do this but I had to.

Even though I’m not working as a structural engineer, I keep on reviewing my structural engineering subjects, but my heart yearns for more than solving sample problems in books, I want to know what a real structural engineer does. I know that the solution to my problem is simple, which is to work as a structural engineer. If only for myself, salary isn’t a big issue to me, what matters to me most is the sense of fulfillment that I’d be getting when I’ll finally get the chance to work as a Structural Engineer. But again, as much as I would like to, my situation prohibits me.

I’m sorry, I know that my post is annoying, but maybe I just want to vent out my frustrations. And also, I’m hoping if you guys could help me have a glimpse of the real structural engineering world. Perhaps I could ask for some previous design tasks you’ve worked on in your jobs so I’ll have something to work on besides my textbooks sample problems. I know I’m such a shameful man for doing something close to begging but I’m just tired of my situation and I want to get out of it. Thank you and sorry for wasting your time reading my frustrations and I welcome the violent reaction this deserves.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you graduate with engineering degree? If so quit your high paying job and get a engineering job. Once you have it, you will realize that its mostly answering emails, bitching about Drafters/architects, and every once and a while design something that is more that picking a beam size out of a book.

ztengguy,

Been working on my own for a little over two years now due to a company bankruptcy. I had the exact same discussion with another engineer the other day. I find that I spend about 20%-25% of the time doing engineering. The other 75%-80% is correcting drawings, answering emails/phone calls, printing/mailing drawings, reviewing shop drawings, attending meetings, site visits, writing letters, writing proposals, explaining things to contractors/owners they will forget 5 min later, billings, following up on billings etc.... Not really quite engineering.

jmv,

When I left school I wanted to be an environmental engineer. Things didn't quite work out that way and I ended up being a structural engineer. I worked for a steel fabricator designing small buildings (strip malls, 3 story office buildings, warehouses etc). Lots of people have dreams of designing 100 story buildings as a structural engineer..... most will not. I'm an easy going guy and can tend to make the best of a situation hence not going back into environmental engineering. Then again, when I lost my job I had no desire to leave the engineering field (say to work on site) because I knew I wouldn't be happy.

Want to solve problems and play engineer?

Build something! Fix up a car, build a deck, pour a patio, build a computer. I don't see a lot of young engineers with hands on experience. (I don't see a lot of older engineers with hands on experience). It works your brain as an engineer and scratches the itch.

It sounds to me like you know what to do, but are lacking the courage to do it. If a lower salary is not a problem, it is difficult to see why your "situation prohibits" you working as a structural engineer.

Volunteering for habitat for humanity might help you get your fix and could network you with someone who may set you on a more fulfilling path.

Good luck.

What do you want from your career? If you want to be a structural engineer, get off your ass and do something about it. That probably involves a lot of foot work and interviews. It may also involve quitting, as almost no one will take a Project Manager (or similar) serious in their search to switch into structural.

A bit of advice, in case you do go for it: In my structural engineering career I've been the lead engineer on the long frame and cross frame designs for a stadium, built numerous public buildings, and have been engineer on a wide variety of very unique structures. I never went after those assignments. Each time I was chosen for something truly "special", it was because I follow through on every promise, admit when I didn't know how to handle a situation, and give credit to others in the team when deserved, and above all else get the job done on time. That involves a whole lot of midnight oil and family/friend/opportunity sacrifices.

FYI: My career started with accepting the best possible intern opportunity and turning down a number of more highly paid jobs. This was on my father's advice: He told me early and often that hard work is what brings you luck, and to get stuck into a tough job to learn the most you can. When I graduated and was reviewing offers, he pointed out that then AND NEVER AGAIN would I be able to take any job, no matter how measly the pay, without significant sacrifice.

You cannot simply "become" a structural engineer. In my experience the first sacrifice required is pay. We are one of the lowest paid specialties in one of the lowest paid professions.

Now maybe you can achieve this in a way I have never heard of, but I doubt it. If you want to make money doing this, you have to make a whole lot of sacrifices first. The longer you wait, the more tough those sacrifices will be.

Work part time as a structural engineer? contact a small local structural consulting firm, tell them you want to work for free and your situation. see what happens. a small consulting firm often do many odd jobs and dabble in most things without specializing in any one thing (often is not always).

Depends where you are located but business is booming at the moment in most areas and it's a good time to go get a job. If you're only two years out of school then you are young - send out your resume and send out feelers with every contact that you have, you will probably find something quickly. If salary isn't an issue and you're only two years out (early 20's?) then you have little risk. Your location will have a big impact on what you get to work on - if you're in a city then you are more likely to get exposure to large/varied projects.

Thank you all for your suggestion and encouragement. Thought I'd be receiving the opposite. Right now, I need to work for money for my family since my father passed away. He died of cancer so we spent a lot to try to save his life. So basically that's the circumstance. By the way I have a degree in Civil Eng. Maybe I'm just longing to know what it feels like to be a real structural engineer since I'm not sure when I would become one. Or if I'd ever become one. Because see, it's my dream since college. I just got unlucky. But your replies really made me feel much better so thanks everyone. :)

EngineeringEric,

Do you, by any chance have some friends looking for a part time structural engineer who could give work through e-mails? I would work for free. :)

Study for, take, and pass the 16-hour SE exam. You'll come out with a better understanding of structural engineering, the confidence to perform structural engineering, and the credentials to be allowed to do it. After that you should have a clear idea if structural engineering is for you and much of the problems presented in the exam and during studying will be similar to problems that "real" structural engineers face.

Maine EIT, Civil/Structural.

Jmv08:
TME.... Don’t you need to work directly under the supervision of a Registered Engineer for some period of time before taking the PE or SE exams any longer?

Jmv08.... You probably won’t find much good experience or satisfaction doing any kind of engineering that can be done by e-mail. It would likely be very repetitive and not particularly meaningful or enlightening, in terms of furthering your engineering career and real engineering experience. The important thing about working in an office environment is that you are rubbing elbows with other more experience engineers, seeing many different problems, and many different approaches to solving these problems, you can ask questions at the moment, and you should be absorbing this, to see the big picture. Find a good Structural Engineering mentor, join a few engineering organizations, like ASCE, NSPE, AISC, ACI, AWS, and attend the meetings to start meeting people who might be future employers or mentors. When you start out, you have to be in the office so your supervisor can watch over your shoulder, can correct you and show the right way before you can go too far astray, so you can both look at the same plans and details, and do quick sketches to explain how to detail that or design that, point you at a good ref. text book on the office shelf, etc. etc. You just can’t get that by e-mail and you really won’t get that intensive support here on E-Tips either.

frogit22 has a good idea that you try to build something. I will add that what you build should require that you first prepare a detailed design. Right now, I am in the process of designing a 6' x 10' low wood deck that fits over my ugly undersized 4' x 6' x 5" high concrete front stoop. There are many things to think about. For example, how can I make one unified deck when some of it will be only 2.5" above the existing stoop and some of it will be on some kind of new foundation? What will the new foundation be? Will frost heave be an issue? How can I keep wood away from soil? Should I use a geotextile with crushed stone over the existing soil? How can I maintain drainage on the existing concrete? Et cetera! My mind is just churing with this. I draw up a concept, realize some new issue, and then draw it up again. Eventually I will have to make a decision and run with it. This is how I go about structural engineering on those rare times that I actually get to do structural engineering in my structural engineering job, and it is heaven. You don't have to get a new job to have this kind of fun!

I'm going to chime in and agree on the build something recommendation. Nothing is more satisfying for me than designing and building something. It gives you a new appreciation for construction techniques and problems that arise during construction.

In the coming weeks I will be building a new front staircase with enlarged landing similar to graybeach. Previously I built a raised deck, removed two bearing walls from my kitchen/living room. I even replaced a foundation wall on my current home (I did all the work except operating the backhoe). It helps me understand where the contractor is coming from with his questions and concerns and it feels great to look at the finished product knowing I designed and constructed it.

Habitat for Humanity is a great option too, same with Engineers Abroad and Engineers without borders. They are always looking for volunteers and provide valuable experience and networking opportunities.

If you want to be a structural engineer there really is no substitute for performing structural design in a professional capacity. There are plenty of posers out there who claim to be structural engineers but have never done structural design and they’re just that: posers. Sorry but that’s how I see it.

So…you have a decision to make. If you want to be a structural engineer you need to work for a structural design firm at some point and the sooner you do it the more you’ll remember from school. Fortunately you’re in a good position to look for a job since you currently have on.

Only you will know what’s right for you and like so many things in life it comes down to deciding what you want and then going after it.

In my degree program, I concentrated on heat transfer and fluid flow, and wound up working in different fields. I don't recall right offhand seeing ANY openings in that field, ever, not that I've been looking, either. Anyway, it's been a good living, just the same, and I don't regret the directions I've gone.

Nobody can really make the decisions for you based on what little we know. Probably all of us can think of occupations more interesting than what we're doing, and at some point, you have to decide whether you want to make a living or not. And if you're going for the good living, you'd likely do better to put your energy into that rather than wishing for something different.

I would suggest working on your PE, assuming you're in an engineering position at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back