Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Full list of ASME allowed letters for revisions and view labels 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcsuper

Mechanical
Apr 20, 2006
US
There's an old post I made on eng-tips where I provided a link to a file with a full list of letters allowed by ASME standard for revisions and view labels on drawings. That old link is outdated, so I'm providing an updated link now (using plenty of the appropriate keywords in this post to allow for easy searchability later on :) ) FULL ASME Revision List

Matt Lorono, CSWP
Product Definition Manager, DS SolidWorks Corp
Personal sites:
SolidWorks Legion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Matt,

Sorry to say this but your list is outdated ASME Y14.35-2014 extends revision letters to three characters.

ASME_Y14.35-2014_-_Page_9_utxfkr.png

JHD

JHD, Good catch. I've never really understood why the standard even put a limit on it in the first place. Then again, who's making more than 420 revisions to a drawing? I've updated the description accordingly, and will likely update the file itself when I get a chance.

Matt Lorono, CSWP
Personal sites:
SolidWorks Legion

JHD, updated file with all single, double and triple digit revision letters is now available at the same link. Again, thanks for the catch. I left the old file for those who aren't likely to ever get into triple digit revisions. :) After creating this new list, I think I understand the original restriction of two digits. There's a lot of actual words in the triple digit list. Some of the words could create confusion, like "BUY". I think anyone that wants to use triple digits should go through the list before using it to remove words that may create confusion.

Matt Lorono, CSWP
Personal sites:
SolidWorks Legion

With 20 letters to to chose in 2 letter combinations = 400 revisions. With 3 = 8000.

I wonder why there is any limit to the number of revisions, and why there isn't a recommendation for what to do when that limit is reached.

3DDave, Yup, the total is 8420. All of them are in the updated file, from which the list can be copied and pasted into whatever PDM/PLM/ERP/etc that one may have (assuming the revision list is editable in their application). As far as a recommendation once the list is exceeded? I'm hopeful that Form/Fit/Function/Interchangeability forces a new part number long before revision of a part reaches its 8421st iteration. Then again, here we are with some companies needing three digit revisions, so you-never-know.

Matt Lorono, CSWP
Personal sites:
SolidWorks Legion

It's hard to imagine something going thru 8000 revisions and still backwards-compatible. (Otherwise new part number is in order) Just ¢2

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

People will abuse anything - I expect there are some using the Rev letter significant as a portion of the part number; probably car companies.

3 characters max are plenty. We don't want to use a revision with "infinite" numbers of characters. How are you going to "flag" revision if it is 10 characters long for example?

Best regards,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back