Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fury 325 Rollercoaster cracking 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The left half of the crack is through a weld, the right half propagated through the pipe. I don't see much corrosion staining which means it's either a very dry climate or the crack propagated very quickly. I'm going to guess a weld quality issue here as that would support my rapid propagation observation.

Over 30 years ago I found cracked welds on a county fair ride, I have not been on any rides since then.
They are all unsafe designs. All roller coasters should have a heavily padded roll cage structure.
Then for all the ones that are so enthused by airbags in cars all those rides need them as well.
How come there is only a concern for automobile safety and basically nothing for the most dangerous motive rides on earth?

The inspection of fair ground rides can be very poor in certain states. The is a list somewhere which shows which ones have minimal inspection.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

This is not just a fair ride. It is a major rollercoaster by any definition. There is lot going on in that weldment, and the corner stress riser, in hindsight on my part of course, was suspect. The operation of the coaster has formed a pin by failing a weld. Perhaps there should have been a pin there in the design.

I'm "impressed" (probably a poor word choice) that the coaster still performed so well after complete loss of one of the supports. The box beam track section must have considerable factor of safety that it can span between the 2 adjacent supports under full service load after being completely disconnected from the broken support. Of course there is no telling how many cycles of that load it could have withstood before a catastrophic failure of the box beam track section or one of the other supports.

Tell that to the sub guys...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I think it possible that the break did not mean there was a "complete loss of one of the supports." It might be that the crack transformed a rigid support to a sliding support.

If there was a complete loss, there will be no wear marks on the surface of the crack.

spsalso

spsalso, yeah, sure for gravity loads, but the main load of interest when the coaster comes by is a horizontal load from centrifugal force, and a sliding support under horizontal load in this case is equal to no support at all.

Would not the sliding support under the horizontal load be supporting gravitational load? If so, I don't see that as "...no support at all."

spsalso

Carowinds said:
Safety is our top priority and we appreciate the patience and understanding of our valued guests during this process. As part of our comprehensive safety protocols, all rides, including Fury 325, undergo daily inspections to ensure their proper functioning and structural integrity.

Bullshit!

This news piece shows a photo taken on June 24 clearly showing the crack starting.
Crack_on_June_24_gtzno9.png

Visible to a member of the public, with no special training, from far away.

The daily inspections missed it for at least a week.

This is what is called objective evidence that the park's inspections are inadequate.

Fury 325 broke [pun intended] some internal records for B&M so perhaps they did not revisit the design limitations for the joints that they have in their "tool box" when piecing it together. [ponder]

Given the less than stellar inspection process, it may well be that something else is wrong with the ride, like possibly much higher forces than the joint was designed for. One possibility is if the ride is going faster than it was designed for.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Or that the loads are different from assumptions.
What weight did they use the American riders?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back