Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Galvaneal Thickness: minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

gski

Automotive
Sep 26, 2002
US
We are currently using a galvaneal product that is us weld quality issues...ie: porosity, lack of fussion.

The above mentioned material is domestically manufactured. We are also using an import material for a similar product. This material provides no weld issues.

We have been told that no one in the United States can produce this material coating @ 45grams/m squared with complete coverage.

Can anyone confirm this, or...if you no of a manufacturer, could you please provide me with the contact.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The hot dip process used to form a galvanised and subsequent galvanneal coatings are subject to errors in coating weight. We can purchase both locally (not USA) and from Japan galvanneal to a guaranteed coating weight of 45gm/m2 minimum so I am sure it would be available in the USA too. Try changing your supplier.

Guys - Iused to work in the sheet steel industry dealing almost exclusively with low carbon DDQ- and HSLA steels - the galvanneal that you buy may not be the same as what you recieve if you know what I mean.. You might want to institute a requirement for outside A2LA testing of coating weight, chemistry so that you can be assured of the steel you buy.

nick

I'm not sure how I missed this thread originally, but one of the issues with a coating weight of 45 g/m[sup]2[/sup] is that it is not a standard one in the US. ASTM A 653 is the standard in the US for this type of product and the standard weights are A40 or A50. US Steel or Bethlehem would be the two suppliers I recommend for discussing availability, tolerances, etc.:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back