Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Galvanizing "Grades" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPPE

Structural
May 16, 2001
US
Does anyone have any information on galvanizing "grades"? Specifically, whats the difference between G-60 and G-40? And is there an A-60 or A-40? Which is the "better" galvanizing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

US Steel has a good web page for galvanizing grade reference:

A60 and A40 are ratings for galvannealed steel. This is a hot-dipped process where the steel is heated after coating with zinc, converting the zinc coating into a harder zinc-iron alloy coating, that is also smoother, more scratch-resistant, and more paintable than a galvanized finish.

Ordinary galvanized steel has only a thin layer of the zinc-iron alloy, at the interface of the steel and the zinc. The outer coating remains zinc.

I believe that the A60/A40 coating thicknesses are equivalent to the G60/G40 galvanized coating thicknesses.

pylko...the designations "G60" and "G40" refer to hot dip galvanizing average weights of 0.60 ounces per square foot (both sides) and 0.40 ounces per square foot respectively. The metric equivalents are 60 g/sq.m and 40 g/sq. m respectively.

ASTM Standards A525 are the specifications for hot-dipped gavanization. My version is for 1987.

Also refer to ASTM A446.

Distinction of G designation versus A designation is in the chemical. G designation is a zinc alloy and A designation is for Zinc-iron alloy. I am not an expert on galvanization so I hope you can find what you are looking for in the ASTM Specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back