Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gasket issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

migueldiazch

Petroleum
Mar 18, 2009
VE
Hello,

The MEA filters that you can see in the attached file uses spiral wound gasket for the cover flange with hoop: 304, filler: graphite, inner ring: 304 and outher ring: C.S, we do not have that gasket availlable right now. Can we make a gasket from some material sheet and use it instead of spiral wound gasket?. We normally replace the element filters once every two days.

Regards,
M. D.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This would argue against making gaskets from sheet. Perhaps your gasket supplier can help identify an alternate to spiral wound.

Regards,

Mike

Looks like it was originally spec'd with PTFE gaskets. Is there a reason you changed to 304ss/grafoil spiral wounds?

There are some "sheet-like" gaskets out of PTFE with other fillers that may be suitable here, but as SnTMan pointed out, your gasket supplier (or the OEM) would have the best guidance on exactly what to select.

-TJ Orlowski

Spiral Wound Gaskets can not only just take higher pressures but are also more resistant to heat cycles than sheet materials. Also cheaply made sheet materials like unfilled virgin PTFE creep badly over time (especially at temperatures), perhaps your now using the SWG to rule these problems out. You could go to a more engineered sheet material like a filled biaxial PTFE (Sigma, Gylon, Tealon) or a fibre sheet. With the media/temps/pressures quoted I can't see why you couldn't.

unbolting that cover and replacing the gasket every 2 days must be a real pain in the rear not to mention expensive over a years time.

I think solving the gasket issue is just a stop gap decision.

I would replace the filter with one that has a quick opening closure. Bound to save time and money in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back