Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

GD&T 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

saharris1

Mechanical
May 25, 2005
US
Can anyone point a newbie to a good place to begin learning about GD&T. I am a seasoned designer using Pro/E and Wildfire but my drawing experience has been limited to coordinate dimensioning and am finding the transition difficult.
Any suggestions are welcomed

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first thing to look at is one of the books by Lowell Foster, and also get a copy of ASME Y14.5M-1994 and read it. Also look on line for any courses on the subject.
Most of it is easily understandable WITH PRACTICE. Some of concepts though do take a bit of thought as to how to apply them correctly.

Rookie,

I learned GD&T by taking a class at a community college (trade school), my work paid for advanced training, and reading books (including the ASME Spec). I would also seek out a drafter/designer that knows GD&T and look at their drawings. Also you can find some free resources on the web. Best of luck.

Heckler makes a good point. It is very instructive to look over actual drawings where it is used properly, with someone who can explain the hows and whys.

Howdy Rookie,

I know this may sound strange but it's cheap and I still think it's a good way to go. Check out used bookstores and pick up an older drafting text book. It has some good tips and examples. (Examples are the key) The basics are a good way to start. If you are looking at getting even more specific a Quality Assurance text goes over the GD&T with a fine tooth comb.

Goodluck!

Bruce Wilson's book is far more descriptive than Lowell Foster's book, so it is better for a beginner. The book is Design Dimensioning and Tolerancing and it is published by The Goodheart-Willcox Company. Good luck... GD&T is a fantastic tool if used properly.

TheRookie,
If you have a Manufacturing and QC on site, ask them to show you good and bad examples of tolerancing. They will (should) be more then willing to show you some good examples.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a book that tells
you how to get the tolerances that many design
engineers specify and the cost parameters for
getting the different values. Does the shop
dictate the tolerances achievable? The design
engineer must know what machines are available
in the shop and what its signature is for the
runouts, tolerances, etc. produced by the
individual machines and machining processes.

Yes, we use TCI for our in-house GD&T training.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back