Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gear Drawing Software 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philrock

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2001
US
What software is available that does a good job of drawing gear teeth in 2D and/or 3D - either a CAD package with the capability built-in, or an add-in that is used with an existing CAD package?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I design my gears by means of Solid Works 2001 Plus with Add-in Mech-Soft. The gear-model has a real involute flank and this is sufficient to me to be happy.
Regards

how can i draw the specific gear.
data given is module,reference profile,profile,pressure angle,number of teeth,pcd,tooth depth,center distance,no of teeth in mating gear

If you have Solid works or Inventor these people have some really neat plugins that will draw the gear for you You "just" fill in the blanks, it then draws the gear(s) and then model it in Solidworks or Inventor
Ralph

I have used Gear Trax.

It is totally incorrect for helical gears.

Even the most basic calculations for helical gears are WRONG!

It was obviously written by people who do not understand gears.

kbt,
The profile of the gerotor can be calculated. It is a nice mathematical/geometry problem. It uses the conjugate profile creating method.
Then the x, y coordinates can be then transfered into many CAD software.

gearguru

gearguru,
thanks, do you know any method or machine for gerotor grinding. As you know gerotors are usually made from powder metal but it is not enough hard for my product.

kbt,
I am sorry, I do not have experience with manufacturing these beasts. But I think that the CNC, if you give them enough precalculated coordinates, can do the job.
Ask in the manufacturing forum (I believe that you already did)...
I played with the calculations when we checked the profile of the supplied rotors, made from powder metal.
Excel and some math did the job.
gearguru

Guys,
We just had a guy take a course with
Ray Drago and he mentioned that you
could download his program and use
it for 30 days. I ran thru some sample
problems and was impressed. It even
draws gears in mesh and you can rotate
them. Quite impressive.

The price is right as well as I am
certain you will agree when you see it.
It actually draws the correct trochoidal
fillets.

Hi Guys
UTS has just started shipping thier new Integrated Gear Software. The suite includes the creation of accurate DXF and IGES files for internal and external gears. It also plots the teeth rolling through mesh. Check it out at PS UTS is the market leader in Gear Design and Analysis software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back