Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gen./Transformer Differential Prot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

burntcoil

Electrical
Sep 28, 2011
SA
Can anyone suggest a differential relay for a Generator and its step up transformer. One set of differential CTs are on the neutral side of the 13.8kV generator and the other set is on 115kV Bus of a step-up transformer. So the zone of protection includes both Gen. and Transformer. Which relay (Make and Model) will be best suited for this application?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ABB's REG670 can provide an overall differential function in addition to stator differential. I assume this is an additional protection function and not in lieu of the stator differential relay: you will not have enough sensitivity to adequately protect the stator if you have to use a biased diff relay to accommodate the GSU tapchanger.

Both the Generator (13.8kV, 160MVA) and Step-up Transformer (13.8/115kV, 166MVA) have their dedicated differential protection. The overall differential protection is named as "Gen. Step-up Transformer Overall Differential Protection".

@ScottyUK

In my application, there is a tap changer on 115kV side for GSU transformer. Does it makes difference for Differential Protection? Because I believe the tap changer variation will be compensated in the relay settings for differential protection.

A biased differential relay allows a larger imbalance current to flow without tripping the relay as load current increases. This is probably the most common type of differential relay used in transformer protection. In contrast a stator differential relay usually has a very low setting which is independent of load current.

If you use a biased scheme I don't think you will be able to achieve as low a setting and the protection afforded to the machine will be reduced. The cost of an additional relay is likely to be a few thousand pounds or dollars, to protect a machine worth perhaps 1000 times as much.

"Both the Generator (13.8kV, 160MVA) and Step-up Transformer (13.8/115kV, 166MVA) have their dedicated differential protection. "

I see this as added protection as back up to the primary units. If you can live with lower sensitivity if it is a back up unit (high slope / second slope) settings most modern relays will satisfy your initial requirements. You will want to also pay attention to the CT's for matching performance and lead length / burden issues for a run that long. What you don't want is your back up protection to nuisance trip for a through fault, due to saturation issues. On a 160 MVA unit that could be quite a distance between the Gen Neutral CTs and the Transformer HV side or HV breaker, if you choose to further extend the back up protection to cover the breaker.

Possible use any transformer differential protective terminal, if it's only overall differential protection.
If you need also back-up protection to generator protection, a good style for such application use protective terminals like to ABB REG670/REG650, Alstom P34x, Siemens 7UMx.

In your case, a best way use same terminal as exist transformer differential, less spare parts :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back