Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Generation Conflict - Changing The Wheel 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNextGen

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2010
US
How can I convince the old guard engineers that it is time to update their means and methods?

I'm not trying to "reinvent the wheel." But something major needs to be done. To borrow from the MBA'ers, there needs to be "disruptive" change.

I'm in a stodgy old industry that's been churning out reliable widgets for more than a century. I'm in a specialty which codified (industry wide) its philosophy half a century ago. My company's specifications to which I'm designing are at least 30 years old. The company's leaders of my speciality have been doing this work since the days of paper, pencil, and slide rule along with some reference tables were all that was available.

I'm almost 30. I grew up with computers. (See where this is going?) I'm a few years into my career. My designs are out in the field operating successfully. I have "field" experience with the manufacture and installation of the widgets I design (though not their operation).

Here's the conflict:
I have something to contribute. The old guard pushes back, saying "but that's not the way we have done it."

I feel that I've paid my dues. I've done the work the old way. I've read the old masters of my speciality (more than many of the old guard). I'm up to speed on the modern research in my field (very few of the old guard are).

I have proved in hard data that my proposals produce an objectively better widget. "But that's not the way we have always done it."

... For less engineering hours, material cost, and installation cost. "But that's not the way we have always done it."

... Without compromising safety or pushing the envelop of what the code allows. "But that's not the way we have always done it."

How do you deal with engineers who refuse to reason?

Should I just grin, bear it and wait for the retirement receptions?

The Next Gen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ask if you can set up a separate R&D lab. The old geezers might be remarkably receptive to the idea. Any new ideas can be tested and chewed up without threatening any empires, which is most likely what you are really running into. If you really do have improvements to be made, the nay-sayers will see them and try to get them incorporated into their empires - while patting themselves on the back for their foresight.

That is VERY old-school thinking, but it is not gone from the workplace.

Next Gen

You have acknowledged your opportunities for improvement. This is a good thing! Have your read Dale Carnegies, How to Win Friends and Influence People? It is a good read. I am still working on the concepts. I struggle in this area myself and should read it again.

Until you find another job use the time to work on the things that you need to work on. We are where we are supposed to be. I hope you can see sooner than later that this frustrating time as a blessing.

And, Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back