Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generator synchronizing check protective function (ANSI 25) and the need for a grounding bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark706

Electrical
Nov 29, 2018
US
I have a question about the ANSI 25 Sync check relay and reconnecting to the distribution systems. Specifically I have a question regarding this operation for converter based generators that utilize wye grounded (primary) / wye ungrounded (secondary) transformers, but this would apply to any generator type.

Does the sync check system need access to a ground reference inside a solar/BESS facility, for instance, to help it reconnect back to the utility?

In the solar facilities I am aware of, the facility transformer is wye grounded (primary) / wye ungrounded (secondary), therefore not a source of zero-sequence currents. The reasoning is to protect the distribution system from any added sources of ground fault current, but does this cause an issue with restoring a generator to the system after a fault condition?

In looking at the specs for a sync check device, it appears they are looking at a per phase ΔV or a frequency match percentage, but am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back