Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geodesic dome design

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiakbear

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2003
US
I am trying to create a Geodesic dome on 3D software(Solidworks). Have done extensive searching for information online with mixed results.
Wondering if somebody might have a DXF file or other 3D file created that might assist me in understanding constraints of this structure.
Thanks

GT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

KodiakBear - What size is the dome? How tall do you need it? What is it for? There are several methods of generating geodesic domes as well as non-geodesic triangulated space frames. I can send you dwg or dxf of almost any size but more information is required.

IFR.. right now i am making my dome with 4 foot segements along with hubs i have created.

Four foot segments using 2X4's..

I have viewed many hub designs on the US patent database and have come up with a 6 finger shaped hub set at 9 degrees.

This is a project i am tackling with the hope i can build several structures.. from smaller(greenhouse) to eventually a house.

I have downloaded Windome ver 4.8 from applied-synergetics.com. It has a dxf output but the output file is blank when i import it into Solidworks.

GT

I have a 3D Sketch that I did using SolidWorks 2001. It is made up of pentagons and is only a quarter but it might help. Don't know much about them but after reading the post I have been looking into them and quite fancy making a real life model.

If you want the sketch let me know what your email is and I will send it to you.

Did you ever find info on your geodesic domes? A good start is studying a soccer ball. This consist of hexagons and pentagons. The size of your dome and how it the polygons interlock together is a function of the size of the polygons.

The easiest way to build a geodesic shape in cad is to draw a hexagonal surface and a pentagonal surface with the same edge length. Assemble these parts point to point placing 5 hexagons around each pentagon. This, incidentally is the structure for the C60 atom or buckyball... Half of it makes a nice geodesic dome.

To make corner brackets for the dome you can examine the corners of the model you've built and measure the angles between the parts. I might post a picture of the one I drew in ProE - not at the right computer to access this file at the moment.

You mean you are trying to emulate the 'Eden Project'?? There are several VRML parametric models you can play with available on the net. I have a good powerpoint presentation on this, it mainly focusses on the evolution of the planetarium design, but goes into geodesic shapes in quite some detail.

The Jenna Planetarium in Germany is a good example of one.

I'm trying to build a small wooden model (in preparation to a full scale) of a geodesic dome also, but I'm having trouble with the double compound mitre cuts. I'm not quite sure how to figure all the angles on a 3v geodesic dome, and since I want to stay away from using large hubs, getting perfectly fitting joints is a must, which in turn requires accuracy in length and when cutting the angles at the ends of the struts.

Any help appreciated (especially if someone were to send me a pretty graphic with the precise angles I need on each of the struts;)).

Just thought I'd add a bit more information....I'm building (or attempting to build) a 3 frequency Geodesic dome. I don't have trouble with strut lengths, just getting the correct angles on all the pieces so I have a tight fit with all parts without the need to use hub connectors of some sort. My model will be approximately 5' in diameter, with 3 different strut sizes with the longest just a teensy bit over 12" and the shortest a bit over 10 3/4". If I were building this with condiut (or another similar material) I wouldn't need to worry about connecting angles, but with wood, it's very difficult to assemble the geodesic dome unless all the parts are miter-cut to precise angles. Unfortunately, that sort of math isn't in my areas of expertise, making it frustrating to keep hunting for the correct method of calculating these angles. And again, I don't want to go through the trouble or expense of purchasing hubs for the dome (if they can even be bought, of which I have serious doubts). I also feel the structure wouldn't be as structurally sound without tight fitting wood joints. I will be using reinforcing metal straps to reinforce the joints, but I refuse to use hub connections.

Again, any help would be appreciated, especially if it comes in the form of a nice drawing with the precise angles I need to cut detailed on each strut length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back