Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geometry Pattern 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToolAll

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2002
US
I wonder if anyone really understands how Geometry Pattern works. Does it work? Here is my problem. I am working on a 50 position connector and would like to draw one position to completion, then pattern it. Of course I can't do it this way! Anyone know why? Because you can't pattern things like up to surface without getting something you really don't want. You can't Pattern Chamfers! You can't always pattern radii. I bet solidworks VAR never mentioned that during pre sales chat. Anyhow enough of my rant back to Geometry Pattern. It is my impression that geometry pattern should be the same as if I were to select all of the faces of the feature(s) and then knit them to one, then pattern. In fact that is what I finally did after hours on the phone with my VAR. Even he can't explain Geometry Pattern. (Please don't give me the same crap thats in the help file.)
Please if anyone agrees that Geometry Pattern does not work, or that we should have the abilty to pattern everything, please sumitt an enhancement request. (Although I think it should be a bug report that Geometry Pattern doesn't work.)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all a chamfer and a fillet are features that are children of another feature. So patterning a child without its parents does not make sense.

Second, Geometry pattern as far as I am concerned works the way it supposed to. I use it a quite a bit. Here is a simple example. I have a rectangular plate. I create a cut extrude of a simple circle through it. When I pattern it I use geometry pattern. The advantage of this is.....sorry for giving you "crap" but I cut and pasted this from the Help.....The Geometry Pattern option speeds up the creation and rebuilding of a pattern. Individual instances of the feature being copied are not solved; end conditions and calculations are ignored.
Copyright© 2000 by SolidWorks Corporation. All rights reserved.

You may want to check out the model library which may have an example or maybe the part that you are trying to create.

Lastly if you are not getting sufficient help from your VAR I would talk to there manager and let them know you are not happy.
BBJT CSWP

Go here ( )to see example of whay I am trying to create, and also what solidworks can't do.

Can you mirror draft? Not always....When can you? Anyones guess! Like I said in my previous post I want to take the first position connector circuit and pattern it to 50 other places. One position circuit contains over 200 faces. So what is the best way to make this. I can tell you but first you will have to admit that Geometry pattern does not work to completion. If it did you could do what I have shown in the second picture. Your example is simple ... I would use whole wizard. The only reason to not is for performance and 50 or 100 holes should not be a performance issue. Should it?

Geometry Pattern works fine. I made a lot of examples, and always work fine.
BBJT made a simplified example, but explain the theory of geometry pattern.
"Each instance is an exact copy of the faces and edges of the original feature".
Hope that helps.

Toolall,

A geometry pattern is not a feature of SolidWorks. It is nothing more than a geometrical constaint to the pattern feature of solidworks. It tells solidworks nothing more than which way to orientate the features or surfaces you wish to pattern.

Looking at you part, it appears that after buiding one circuit connector assembly, all you have to do is define a series of planes and use the mirroring feature over and over.

You could also create one instance of this feature as a Library Part, then insert it as many times as you like, or Linear Pattern it. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back