Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geometry puzzles me

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyromech

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2008
US
How do i go about creating this part? Looks like this cylinder has two different geometries 180 deg apart. what about those lips rounds?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Kind of hard to see all the details, but I would use Surfaces to build the part.

Using Revolve and then Merging surfaces. Once the outer or inner surface is done, simply Thicken.

Again, I am sure this part can be done 100 different ways!

Steve

Guys

I still cant figure it out. So far, i have created the revolve feature (solid) only. How do i go about finishing the rest? i was thinking of a sweep feature but nah, what about a blend feature, problem is that radius is not actually a blend. It's located 0.156" away the rear face..

Steve mentioned merging the revolve features. So you meant to create one revolve for those 4 indents. Then use the merge feature

Please anyone.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3ccd0c8d-2bea-4600-9c16-c1107e4e5527&file=19200_8797092.ps
Probably a hundred ways to do this part. The detail of the indent is a bit hard to make out on the sketch but a simple way would be:
1> create the cylinder as a surface with capped ends.
2> trim the top open
3> sketch a sweep path for the indent
4> sweep a surface profile of the indent along the sweep path
5> pattern on axis 4@360
6> merge
7> add rounds
8> thicken
done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back