Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Georeferencing Aerial Images 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

westend392

Civil/Environmental
Jan 17, 2006
US
Hi Everyone,

Is there a quick way (or software that I can use) of displaying the coordinate system of particular aerial image file? Also, if I have aerial image that is setup in, say, UTM coordinate system, is it possible to convert it so it is refereced in state plane coordinate system? Is this an easy process?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure I understand yout question but perhaps some of the following information may help.

First, I gather that you have an electronic file of an aerial photo. if it is in .jpg, tiff, .gif or any other commonly used graphic file format you may find the inexpensive program , OziExplorer useful. You can import your photo into the program and then scale it to whatever scale would be convenient for you, provided you know the coordinates of at least three points.

You can get coordinates ( Lat and Lon ) in GoogleEarth. You can also get Stare Plane coordinates from USGS Quadangle maps and convert these to UTM or Lat/Long if your accuracy requirements do not require great precision.

As for State Plane coordinates you should be able to get information on those from your State DOT or any knowledgable Surveyor in your local area. Without knowing what State you are in I can't be more specific.

There may be other ways to accomplish what you are trying to do but those possibly require expensive GIS programs and knowledge of how to use them.

good luck

you can uce corpscon to convert points b/t utm and state plane. could always import pic on to autocad then add gridlines. it works well with handheld gps since you can save point data to text, then manipulate file in excel, convert with corpscon, manipulate again, then import in to cad with script file.

Just a friendly suggestion: Check your state's Land Surveying Board's regulations before you interpolate your own LS data from an aerial. Some states frown on the practice & get VERY defensive regarding "areas of responsibility". :)

I have had good experiences with Global Mapper. You will need to get the paid version in order to save your georef image into another coordinate system.

Jeff

In MapWindow GIS you can view the current coordinate system of a georeferenced image. Just use View/Add Layer to display it, then in the table of contents/legend double click the layer to view its properties. You can also reproject your image from one system to another using the "GIS Tools" "Image" "Reproject Image" menu. MapWindow is a free/open source .NET application you can download here: (as tsgrue noted). Hope this helps. - Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back