Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geostar STOP 1-Singular Matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamboTron

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2006
GB
I have recently began a model in Geostar using the beam element function. Early simple models e.g fixed cantilever have worked fine. The problem now is that I'm modeling part of a oil platform, this requires 3 different Real Constant sets for different beams.
When I got to run the freq, analysis I get the following error message. STOP 1-SINGULAR MATRIX

What does this mean and where have I made the mistake?

I have kept all beam element sizes approx. the same size for all sections when meshing. I had a few early problems with the '3rd node' setting when selecting a beam section,but I feel comfortable this is not the problem as it usually has it's own type of error message.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Kellnerp, managed to solve the problem not long after I posted. Didn't realise you had to identify each individual beam on a long section. e.g, instead of meshing 1x10m, it should be 4x2.5m sections. Took quite a while to redraw all the relevant the curves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back