Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting a MSME Without BSME? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithmregan

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2008
US
I really want to go back to Drexel and get a Mechanical engineering degree. I have a BS in Audio engineering that incorporated the first two years of the mechanical engineering curriculum from Drexel.

I could go back and finish a BS MEM degree. I am looking into it, but as long as I am accepted and pass the GRE I may be able to get a MSME without the BSME(still not sure if this is allowed but I think it may be)

Questions are:
Over the next 5 years what do you think the job availability would be for someone with only a MS in Mechanical engineering?

Would they not be valued as much as someone with a BSME?

Would I be valued as much AT LEAST as a new BSME graduate?

A lot of the upper level BS classes are the same as the masters anyway. Not sure this is the path that I want to take, but am interested in finding out info. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

keith, take a look on this forum as I'm pretty sure it's come up a couple of times in other threads lately.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

When I was applying for my New York license last year, I remember a long, complicated table of needed experience based on ABET, non-ABET degress. Some state follow the NCEES model law and required the ABET only.

And I recently read that ABET will likely accredit MS and BS programs at the same institution whereas before it was one or the other. Larger universities offer just one or the other and finding an ABET MS program may be challenging. Perhaps by the time you complete the MS, ABET will have it certified. You may want to check on your state board on timing.

Don Phillips

I knew someone who went to the Stanford MSME program with a non-engineering BS degree. I forget what it was, like math or liberal arts. Of course some extra courses were required for this person.

I have an MSME without a BSME. I got my MSME in 2005, and my Bachelor's in Engineering/Physics in 2002. I had to take a years worth of prerequisites, and most of those prerequisites were getting used to the nomenclature of Mechanical Engineering and using computers for drafting and solid modeling. I have actually been down that road, and have some advice to your questions.

Q: Over the next 5 years what do you think the job availability would be for someone with only a MS in Mechanical engineering?

A: You may not need to worry about that, since you can expect to tack at least one more year of prerequisites to a two year degree. If you're like me, you spend 3.5 years, 2 for coursework, 1.5 for research. Landing a job with the MSME is actually more difficult if you have obtained your BSME. An MSME coupled with a BS in another degree is really impressive on a resume. I've won out against BSME's a few times. This is especially good for research.

Q: Would they not be valued as much as someone with a BSME?

Mechanical Engineering is evolving to an all encompassing engineering degree at its higher levels. Coupled with a bachelors in a Physical Science, you have a chance to really accelerate your career because you are a general problem solver, but can go into very specific detail when dealing with technical problems in many fields (optics, electronics, physical chemistry, instrumentation, controls, machine design, material sciences, metallurgy, HVAC, etc.., etc..)

Would I be valued as much AT LEAST as a new BSME graduate?

You will be valued THAT MUCH, if not MORE than your BSME counterparts. When you land a job, consider this. Imagine your company as a pyramid (CEO's and Directors at the top, rank and file to the bottom). When times get tough, the bottom of the pyramid goes. Now imagine the apex of the pyramid mirrored that looks like a diamond. That's what will be left after the cutbacks and layoffs. CEOS will be at the top of the diamond, but in the middle band, will be the BSME + 5 years and you with your MSME, at the bottom of the band will be a very good BSME with no experience. Just get everything you can out of the graduate program, and you'll be fine.

For R&D or manufacturing, that you mention above is your area of interest, having a PE will probably be less significant, and hence not have a BS less of an issue.

For R&D I'd expect an MS may actually be quite an asset, though this may vary by field etc.

I'd really take a look at what area you think you want to work in, can't guarantee you'll get there but having something to focus on can help make decisions and probably wont completely exclude you from most other areas.

I was a BS in Chemical Engineering, but I've thought of going mechanical for my masters. Took a lot of classes with mechanical engineers, so I think I've got a good chance if I take maybe 2-3 more undergrad mechanical classes. What do you guys think? Possible? Anyone gone chem eng undergrad to mech eng grad?

I would like to clarify and correct the comments that Greg Locock made about my situation. I am not an acoustic engineer, and I did not get pinged in TX for designing ultrasonic loudspeakers. I got pinged in TX for simply using the term "engineer" in my letterhead. Even though the complete title that I used was "Consulting Scientist & Engineer" and even though the title referred to my educational background and not to the nature of the work that I did, it did not matter because, according to the TX Engineering Practice Act, if you are not a registered PE in TX, you can't use the term "engineer" when referring to yourself in any manner. The good news is that people who hire me as a consultant care only about my expertise and couldn't care less about the title that I use. Also, people who hire me as a consultant think that the statute regarding the use of the term "engineer" is as absurd as it is silly. What is ironic about the situation is that I am frequently hired by PE's because I can provide engineering expertise they lack, and at the same time they can use the title "engineer" but I can not. Isn't that a hoot.

W. Gary Sokolich, Ph.D.
Scientific & Technical Consultant (my new title)

Anyone ranting about that topic gets a star from me, but then apparantly I have a big chip on my shoulder;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back