Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Give explanation to manager about why I'm leaving? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanman72

Chemical
Jul 6, 2008
US
There's a good chance I will be leaving my current position within the next several months. Do you typically give your current employer a reason or explanation as to why you're leaving when switching jobs? Or do you typically give your 2 weeks and that's it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think we pretty much agree here then.

Don't: Throw management or fellow employees under the bus, even if they deserve it.

Do: give them some information that's more related to the organization as a whole or, if necessary, build your new opportunity up to make it seem like a fantastic opportunity in your career which their organization just can't offer you. No manager will fault you for doing whats right for you. Unless everybody in your company has worked there their entire life, they've forced some exit interviews at other places themselves and know how the system works. Giving them some recruitment and retention feedback is the least you can do. You're already getting what you want, a new job!

This will give them feedback they can use and at the same time avoid leaving too much negativity in your wake that could possibly hurt you down the road.

If you're leaving a job, you've already concluded that the exit interview is useless- to you.

The only question is, can your carefully chosen words be of any benefit to your colleagues who you leave behind?

A closed mouth gathers no feet...

One other point:

HR typically conducts the exit interview that gets recorded.

The fact that there's an exit reflects on HR in two ways:
- Now they have to get off their butts and find another warm body to replace you.
- If you're the umpteenth to leave, Senior Management starts to question whether HR is doing their job right.

So, you, Mister/Ms. Quitter, have caused them to do some actual work, and possibly made them look worse than they already did... and that was _before_ the interview.

HR will typically record your carefully chosen words in such a way that you look, well, as evil, wicked, mean, bad and nasty as possible. The only way to have any control over _that_ process is to provide them with as few words as possible from which to misquote.

Do you remember what High School politics were like? Well, HR is still fully engaged in that sort of stuff, all the time.

An exit interview has NO upside for the departee or for the survivors.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

In my experience, management gives the exit interview, not HR. HR was present at one of mine as a recorder but was not involved in the interview actively.

I can't really speak to what effect, if any, my exit interviews had after I left but it was certainly appreciated at the time and in each occasion I was told the door is always open if I wanted to return. I'd say it wasn't useless to me for that very fact (plus the solid reference down the road).

Engineering is a transient profession, the majority will change jobs many times over their career. Managers are either engineers themselves or are at least very familiar with them. You're not the first one to go and chances are they'll have to steal an engineer from someone else to fill your shoes. Its not like your stabbing them in the back, its part of the business. Be professional and give the interview.

Fanman72,

Never say anything negative about your old company, this can burn bridges that may be useful in future.

It is best to say something like "It was an opportunity that I felt was too good to pass up."

They will usually not ask for a further explananation.

I had an exit interview when I left my (through university) sponsoring company.

I was young (22) and told the truth. I liked the work but had stumbled upon a great offer to do similar and better elsewhere. Plus it didn't involve living in the arse end of London with other people who couldn't afford to buy their own places.

- Steve

Going on to better opportunities in better geographic locations is always an ok thing to say. If that happens to be the truth, it's fine to tell the truth. And all the people in this thread of the "just be honest" persuasion seem to have left their jobs for that pleasant reason. When there are no hard feelings, a pleasant discussion about some minor ways in which the soon-to-be-former company could improve can be a good thing for all involved.

But for those who are leaving because the old job sucks, too much honesty is not a good idea. One should still say it's a better opportunity or better geographic location or whatever.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I believe saying what's on your heart is normal thing to be done - as long as it has been said without hatred; at that point it simply stops to be true. Remember one thing: it doesn't matter how bad the company is, you are the one who allows bad emotions to develop and grow inside yourself. Saying bad things at the end of your employment is the same like spitting on yourself.

If the company is bad, feel free to say it is bad. Do not blame people, do not speak bad about the people who made you feeling like running away from the company. Feel free to say what are the bad things inside the company, and with what you cannot agreee. Express your attitude but don't insult anyone, you don't have the right to behave in such manner. And who cares about the reference? We are professionals, and our work and experience is what makes us good engineers - not our references.

Best regards,

Manny,

I had an employer who would blame the company staff when individuals chose to leave. If the person who was leaving spoke the truth (that the company and the boss was bad), the boss would go and tell the managers that ("X is leaving because of your bad treatment" [a false statement, as it was the boss who was the problem]). The company staff would then hold a grude against the individual(s) who departed.

As far as references go, in my case I chose to pursue licensure. You can't get a PE without good references. I had to suck up to 3 jerk employers. If I had told them the truth about their bad behavior, I could kiss my references (and PE licenses) goodbye.

Some employers truly want to know how they can improve. Others assume that everything is perfect since they are perfect and they are in charge. Gauge your farewell statements accordingly.

I have one of these interviews next week. I doubt that I will be able to keep to the 'say nothing' plan even though I probably should. The fallback plan is 'facts, not emotion'.

I will post my experience.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back