Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Glass behavior at low temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfernandez

Materials
May 26, 2010
BR

I would like to undestand what is the main difference in mechanical characteristics when a glass is submited at low temperature.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would help quite a bit if you gave a little more information. i.e.
temperature range.
glass composition or type at least roughly
Are you concerned with strength? (increases over quite a range )Are you asking about impact resistance etc.?

Dear olmanpete, thanks for your answer.

Fist at all I would like to understand the behaviour in a range from -20 C to +50 C.

I would like to undertand the changes when it is used soda-lime glass from 3 up to 10 mm thickness.

Regards,

Harold F

The glass gets stronger as the temperature lowers. This is true of any amorphous material. The actual breakage point of any glass object is strongly dependent on the surface condition. breakage initiates in small scratches on the surface. Also the Chemical composition of any surface coat has a large effect. For example, this is why when you are cutting glass, it is a good idea to wet the scribe mark. The hydration forms a larger molecule which stresses the glass in microcracks. Also why your grandma's prized vase broke while you were washing it. microcracks plus hydration = stress. The point is that such considerations will overwhelm the changes in intrinsic strength over the short -20C to 50C temperature span. I may be able to help more if I knew what your problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back