Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Glass Guardrail Deflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

courtnvm

Structural
Jun 28, 2003
US
Does anyone have information regarding what is the allowable deflection of a cantilevered glass guardrail system which has 4-way spider fitting at each lower corner of panel analyzed as thin plates. The glass would be tempered glass. When I analyze the panel using thin plate theory, I get a maximum deflection of 1". Is this acceptable for thin plate theory? If not, are there software programs that would analyze this complex problem. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Val

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally I never check handrails for deflection. The code loads can only be applied by a number of people pushing it simultaneously and it is unlikely to happen more than once or twice in the buildings lifetime.

Standards Australia do recommend handrail delection limits.
From AS/NZS1170.1 Supp 1:2002; "For serviceability, the deflection of handrails may be considered acceptable if they do not exceed h/60 + l/240 (horizontal deflection).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back