Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Glassfibre and plywood properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferro1001

Automotive
Aug 11, 2004
DE
Hello,

I have to model some parts of a structure with plywood and glassfibre, anybody knows what their properties are? How can I do it in ABAQUS?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Glassfibre: isotropic, linear elastic - brittle failure. Fails at about 1-2% elongation (depends on quality). E-modulus is 72 GPa and Poisson ratio 0.22.

Plywood properties are for sure dependent on degree of moisture, would, orientation of layers etc. Anything between 20-40 GPa in E-modulus for a quasi-isotropic laminate should be possible. Can you get testdata?

"model some parts of a structure with plywood and glassfibre" is a very loose description of your material...

Thank you Cedro,

My structure is a part of a bus, I am doing an impact essay in dynamic explicit. The glassfibre part is an inner curved shell touching the ceiling with 1 milimeter of thickness, the plywood part is the floor of the bus where people walk to the seats.

By the way, I need density too for the dynamic model, do u know their densities too?

Lots of thanks

Ferro

Density of glass is 2.6 g/cm3. By the way it sounds from your description (1 mm ceiling) that it is not really glass fiber but a composite: plastic-glassfiber. Then you first of all need the ammount of glass fiber and type of plastic to say something about material properties.

Plywood density is about 1 g/cm3, floats if not too much phenolic resin. By the way I believe now i overestimated the E-modulus of plywood, should be more like 10-12 GPa at 23 degrees C and 50% RH. For ex birch wood is 12 GPa.

Thank you very much Cedro,

Sorry, it´s my fault, the glassfibre is a shell of 2 mm of thickness in the OUTER ceiling, in the inner ceiling there is a curved shell of plywood of 6 mm of thickness. The glassfibre curved shells are divided in 2 parts of 1.5 m and 1 m length and about 12,5 m of curvature. Both of them are about 2 m wide; they are some kind of stiffners for the ceiling main structure. I don´t know what kind of glassfiber (or plywood)is, I´ll have to choose the most suitable for my model.

hmmm. I still dont understand how you can make a shell of glassfibers without a matrix of some kind. Note that I have given FIBER DATA, not data for a plate with distributed fibers - it is not possible to have 100 volume-% fibers in a shell. If you apply my data directly it will correspond to a window glass.

Hi,

Sorry, of course it is a matrix of resin and glassfiber.
I need the properties of the resin (density, Young´s modulus and Poisson´s ratio) with glassfibers, one which is suitable for my model.

Thanks again

ferro1001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back