Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Glycerin antifreeze systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSContracting

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2014
US
Hi, have a question regarding some antifreeze systems i service. The systems were designed about 10 years ago and have appx. 560 gallons of Glycerin premix in them, and were installed with expansion piping instead of tanks. The worst of them has 3 10" pipes about 8' tall, which have been next to useless when the temperature goes up in the attic of the facility. I can drain the expansion pipes repeatedly, but the air keeps bleeding into the system after a few months.

I prefer to use bladder tanks in systems, but my customer is "thrifty" and seems to think that pressure increasing to over 180# is ok. They had a pressure relief valve that kept pissing all of the glycerin down the drain....then diluting the mix when it cooled down. My main question is, what is the opinion out there of using these air-charged pipes instead of bladder tanks?

Also, am looking for places to recycle diluted Glycerin premix in Ohio because i figure the EPA would frown upon dumping it down the drain.

Thanks for any help and advice. Chris.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have a suggestion for the expansion piping, but I can suggest Safety Kleen for glycerin and/or propylene glycol recycling. They charge approx $18 per gallon, so you have to add that into your pricing when recharging an antifreeze loop.

Randy

NFPA 13-2013 Section 7.6 covers antifreeze systems. The Automatic Sprinkler Handbook has commentaries as to why and how to install antifreeze systems. NFPA 25-2014 has commentaries about servicing and maintaining antifreeze systems. I do not know about expansion piping, but listed expansion tanks are required on newer antifreeze systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back