Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GM going up on NX4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg33

Automotive
Oct 4, 2006
US
Ref. thread561-142433.

I attempted to bump this thread, but it is closed.

A co-worker contacted one of his friends at GM and though the guy said he heard GM was going up on NX4 very soon, he couldn't give a date. Hearsay.

Does anyone have any solid/semi-solid info on this?

I'm in the process of obtaining our company's DUN No. from our finance department so I can get a login at gmsupplypower.com, but I'm not counting on that getting back to me too quickly.

I'm trying to get some training for my department and if GM is going up on NX4 within the month or so, I'd rather not waste time with NX3 training. I'd just assume get a custom tailored NX3/NX4 update course. We're currently on NX2.

Thx in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a login for gmsupplypower.com and there haven't been any posts about moving to NX4 yet.

However, there is a Blockpoint event as follows:

Document Title: 997 - Supplier Notice - BP2006-1 (GRDV-A) NEW Tenative Timing
Folder Path: Engineering Power - Global/GEES Operations/BlockPoint/BlockPoint 2006-1 (GRDV-A)

On behalf of the Global Extended Enterprise Services (GEES) team.

This letter is to advise you that GM has tentatively timed the Blockpoint 2006-1 (GRDV-A) event for October/November 2006. The following outlines the two (2) planned global deployment Wave events, and the current related Software. The GMSupplyPower website is the only means for Suppliers to receive communications provided by GEES. All Suppliers
must have a valid ID and subscribe to the GEES folders in order to receive notices of future postings.

Software Version*
(Exact versions subject to change)
UGNX 3.0.2.3 MP13 Minor
TcAE v9.1.3.4h Minor
GMPDL 3-C.2.1 Major
GM UG Config 3e Major

Tecnomatix (eM-Planner) 7.6.0.1b

GM Launch v5 Current version (from SE22)
TcVis 6.0.1.1c Major
Java 1.4.2_08 Current Version
Mozilla v1.7.13 (Unix) Supported version for Global Reuse

Timing** (Tentative timing - Wave Assignments TBA)
(Wave 2 is one week after Wave 1)
WAVE 1 - Start of Production (SOP) scheduled 30OC06
WAVE 2 - Start of Production (SOP) scheduled 06NO06

A GM Supplier Bill of Materials will be released from the
GMSupplyPower website ( When the
release date is scheduled, this notification will be updated.

* As GM Supplier requirements are updated, they will be
communicated via GMSupplyPower.com.
** When GM Regional Site timing and Wave assignments are identified, this notification will be updated.

GM Suppliers who are design release responsible or exchange data with General Motors are required to migrate in coordination with GM.

As we prepare our internal migration, we want to ensure that all suppliers are aware of their responsibility to use only the specified version of the software. Because of the lack of backward compatibility it is very important that you remain coordinated with the version that is used by the GM unit(s) to which you supply goods/services. There can be as much of a problem by moving too soon as there would be by moving too late.

More information will be posted on the GMSupplyPower website ( as it becomes available. Questions related to general TeamCenter product information and TcAE / UG NX licensing should be directed to UGS PLM Solutions (
For suppliers located in Mexico please contact: Alfonso Farias (Account Executive).

Ph: 52 55 52 61 47 80, FX: 52 55 52 61 47 99, alfonso.farias@ugs.com

Please direct all questions regarding this message to the GEES Service Desk at 1-888-238-1119, Monday through Friday, 7am-5pm, EST or send an email to geescallcenter@eds.com.

Sincerely,

Joaquin Garcia

CAD/VIS Systems Manager

IS&S - Product Development México

Wayne Didion
Global Extended Enterprise Manager
IS&S - North America Develop Product

Owner: W. Didion/V. Dutko
Document last updated on 2006-09-27 07:49:32.0

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

NX5 will be released sometime next year, probably Q1 of 2007. I think it would be ridiculous for GM to go to NX4 next year with NX5 would be released this soon. They could get a NX5 build fully tested by August of 2007, roughly the same time they would release NX4 if they decided to go to that version. But that is common sense and that doesn't always work for large corporations.

I really hope they jump a version and go to NX5. The planets may be aligning for NX in version 5. Since that is the famous 3rd version for many features, and Ideas integrations should be nearly complete.

-Dave
PLM Exchange

Hello All,

Last week I went to NX5 Beta training. I happen to be a week late for the meeting ,,but one was being conducted for GM Processing group and I was allowed to attend. I was told by the group that GM will be skipping NX4 and going right to NX5. Still somewhat heresay,,but it came from the guys up top straight to my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back