Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

GPM flow for pump size for low rise standpipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosgw

Mechanical
Oct 3, 2004
US
If we were to use a pump for a low rise building with two standpipes:
Would the flow be 750 GPM, 1000 GPM,or 1250 GPM?

I think 750 GPM with 250 for the two top outlets on the most remote standpipe plus 250 for the second stand pipe.

However I and confused by 7.10.1.1 which says 500 GPM at the most remote standpipe and mentions the two remote outlets????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry - Reference is NFPA 14

Reading 7.10.1.1, I think it means 500 GPM total for the standpipe split between the two most remote outlets.

A manual standpipe is the plan.
I am covering the contingency just in case the local fire marshal does not agree.
Plus technically I need to check the flow from the FDC to the standpipes.

Soon or later, you'll have to review your plan with the fire marshal, so about contacting the fire marshal and ask the question right of way. If bids are solicited for property insurance, you could ask your insurance man for assistance from insurance companies that have fire engineers for assistance since these insurance companies may want to exceed the NFPA code.

Already done. But it was only a cursory review by the FM. In our town the FM does not really review drawings until the contractor goes for their specific (sprinkler) permit. By then it is bid and any change is a big change order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back