Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grade 8 Bolt Marking Symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfro

Mechanical
Dec 27, 2005
US
I have a bolt that is now damaged and needs replacement. The bolt has the normal 6 lines indicating it is a SAE Grade 8 bolt, but also has a small triangle between two of the lines. I don't recognize this marking and can't find any references stating its meaning. What does this triangle mean?

It's a 5/8-11 x 3" partially threaded, if that matters.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tfro,
Hi, does it matter? A grade 8 is a grade 8. The symbol is for ISO tracking. All American and/or World follow the specs. for manufacturing of bolt, nuts and washers. (hopefully).
Cheers
Robert
Could be worse, could be me!

mayt4u,

No, it doesn't matter at all since it's only a manufacturing identifier (but I didn't know that, so that's why I started the thread). I work on products that don't require graded bolts, so I've never run across this before.

I was assuming that any grade 8 bolt would be fine, but since I wasn't sure I figured I'd ask and see if I could learn something (which I did).

-Thomas

"does it matter? A grade 8 is a grade 8."

It DOES matter. If you think for a minute that the quality controls are the same between all manufacturer's, you are crazy. We have had problems before in which we were using a grade 8.8 or 12.9 bolt and it was failing. Independent lab tests proved that the bolt was not manufactured to the standard, which was the reason for failure. These were not counterfeit bolts either, they were traced directly to the manufacturer.

In case anybody was wondering, the head marking was "WT".

Reidh

Any suggestions on finding reliable vendors? Like I mentioned earlier, I don't deal with these types of bolts at work but I do use them for personal use (this particular bolt is an aftermarket suspension part). I'd like to find a good vendor to use, and price isn't really too much of an issue since I'm ordering in qtys under 10 and failure leads to serious issues.

-Thomas

Depending on your location in the world, your best bet may be to order the bolt to a mil-spec if you are in the US. There are tighter quality controls for mil spec bolts compared to the SAE J429 standard.

I imagine my above comment may open a can of worms on this forum.

Reidh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back