Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graduate Course Workload

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancmm

Structural
Dec 4, 2009
US
Hi all,
I've recently decided to pursue a M.Eng degree in structural engineering through a distance learning program. Given that I'm currently employed and recently married, I'm trying to figure out if taking 2 graduate courses at once takes up too much effort and free time... On one hand, I'd like to finish the degree as soon as possible, but on the other I'm afraid that I'll be taking away from enjoying life if I bog myself down with too much schooling on top of work. Anybody had similar experience?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Enjoying life and graduate school should not be used in the same sentence.

I'd recommend starting off with one and then bump up to two the next semester if all goes well. It completely depends on where you're attending and what course.

Two courses is tough. I'm in a graduate program right now. I am just finishing up an advanced analysis course, and I've spent roughly 7-8 hours/week (sometimes more) outside of class doing work. I work full time and have a wife and three children at home, so time is a precious commodity. I wouldn't even consider taking two of the easiest courses at the same time!

One univ I attended for a short while was in the process of switching from quarters to semesters and there was a cutoff point in the program that I wanted to get to before the switch. That summer, I took two graduate courses, which put me in class Mon-Thurs from 7pm - 11pm, following a full work day.

Even though the classes were enjoyable (one was a programming course and the other was on operating system theory), never again would I attempt this kind of load. By the end of the session, I was a complete and total zombie and was worthless both at school and work.

Start with one class and see how that goes. You will most likely find it to be plenty. Graduate school will go by soon enough and I do hope you enjoy it. It is a completely different experience from undergrad.

I'm doing a grad program at the University of Washington right now (MSME) and am doing 2 grad classes a quarter, plus some fun classes at a community college.

It's tough. But I want to get done before having kids. Probably half of my classmates do 2 at a time and the other half do 1 at time.

What you can do is try taking 1 at a time for a quarter (semester) or two, and then if it goes well take 2 at a time.

Went to gread school at the UW in 71-72 and took 6 to 9 hours per quarter (2 to 3 classses). I was married, with a kid, and worked part time too. I made it, but it was tough.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

It completely depends on the requirements of the courses you take. I took all structural engineering grad courses (30 hours, but a couple classes weren't as bad as I expected. I spent most of my time on structural dynamics and FEA courses. Many Sundays I would spend all day working just (trying to) do a couple problems. I'm by no means the sharpest math tool in the shed though. The couple design courses I had were fairly easy but still required homework, projects, presentations, etc. I did it all working full time married with kids and commuting an hour each way, some semesters four days a week. If you are willing to sacrifice free time up front you can do two courses a semester. Or you can trade off some free time now and just be in school longer.

I don't know much about statistics, but I do know that if something has a 50-50 chance of going wrong, 9 times out of 10 it will.

I'm married with no kids and I've been taking two graduate structural courses along with 35-37 hours of work for the past year. You are going to be constantly busy and doing schoolwork on weeknight and weekends, but it hasn't been too overwhelming, although my wife may disagree. Not having to quite meet 40 hours helps.

I know a single guy who goes to school with me, who has been doing two courses along with 40 hours of work. He's pretty damn busy.

He and I discussed our "hectic" schedules recently and agreed that it hasn't been that bad. Even though your days are long, you don't get bogged down with one thing all at once. For example, one day this semester I went to work, then went to a class in the middle of the class, then went back to work, then ultimately went home to do schoolwork. Long day, but it really breaks what you are doing.

It took me four years to get my MS (39 units) - 2 years before getting married and 2 years & 1 kid aftter getting married; during the third year I was working 90 miles from school.

As others have said, it depends on the courses. I took 3 geotech courses that required a lot of work. I was single when I took those and spent Saturdays doing homework.

Give 2 a try, you can always cut it to 1 per semester. If your school offers summer classes that's a plus. 3 to 4 courses per year, you'll be done in 4 years. It actually goes by quickly.

You must have your wife agreeing to your commitment! I started off with just one class besides a 40 h work week that worked out fine (married with 3 kids).

Before I started night school for my masters degree, I discussed it with my wife. It is obvious that you need to put some study time in. I reserved Saturday mornings for that. For two semesters I took two classes, it can be done but it definitely requires some extra time.

Good luck.

You may want to talk with your advisor as usually 6 hours is necessary to classified as a part-time grad student with 9 as the minimum for a full-time grad student.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Thanks to all for the invaluable responses. My first course this Spring will be Structural Dynamics, and given that much of my engineering math skills are somewhat a distant memory, it makes sense to take only one course for now and save myself some headaches. (My wife will be happier too)

My experience with an Engineering Outreach Masters of Civil Engineering (Structural option) is similar to many of those above. I could not do 2 courses at the same time and do justice to my job and family.

That being said, it was 25+ years after my BS degree and my math skills had eroded and my computer skills were very rudimentary. It took longer than I had originally planned in that there were two semesters that there were no classes I really wanted and one where I took off for personal reasons.

It did make me a better engineer, which was the main objective.

Good luck in your endeavor. It will be well worth it over the course of your career.

gjc

Starting out with dynamics, ouch.

Better brush up on your differential equations, partial differentials, etc. Recommend buying a calc book now if you dont still have yours from undergrad.

Agree with B16A2 -

Structural Dynamics deals much with modeling systems and then solving the equations describing those systems. First starting with single DOF and then branching into multi-DOF systems.

One thing to remember. As a salaried engineer you don't have the problem that plagued many, if not all, students - There are more than one text on this material and if you don't understand the one your professor chose, then hit the library and pick one that resonates (no pun intended) with you and then purchase it if necessary. Most grad schools let you borrow for a semester at a time.

The above is true for any course really.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]

Yeah I didn't figure that Dynamics would be easy. I have little recollection of differential equations, so I was hoping that someone might guide me to a decent reference on the matter? I sold my one from undergrad long ago.

Also, I'm going to be using Jagmohan Humar's text for Dynamics, any idea if this is a quality book?

Dynamics! Take one course for starters then. I used a textbook by Clough and I have another small book by Chopra. When it comes to dynamics I don't rhink there's any book that makes it less boring.

cancmm -

First of all, don't get too hung-up on the differential equations part....most of the equations for the systems you'll develop (SDOF and MDOF) will have standard solutions but you will need to brush up on calculus as you'll need to recall the derivative of cos and sin plus a few others.

As to your text, never heard of him and I dabble quite a bit in structural dynamics. Are you in the UK or the US or elsewhere? Here in the US books by Mario Paz and Roy Craig are good. Chopra is good for engineers with a background in the material and wish to pursue more earthquake engineering. Chopra presents more sophisticated work beyond the basics and does it very well. It's doubtful you'll need this for a beginner. For me, Clough reads like an old school graudate book where there is a lot of text and no illustrations or examples. But that's just me and yes I'm old too.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]

Come on! Dynamics is the most fun you will have in grad school.... (Besides from doing research), no pun here.
I can't give much advice because all of my graduate work was full-time and thesis based.
2 courses a semester is a really low course load in comparison to 7 a semester in undergrad.

I suggest going for a thesis based program, very rewarding in my opinion.

[peace]
Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back