Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grain Boundary Carbide Network In725

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mett87

Materials
Aug 12, 2012
GB
I have a section of In725 that appears to have a nearly continuous carbide network at the grain boundaries.

Is this typical for this grade?

Heat treatment was:-
1040c for 11hr/air cool
730c for 12hr/furnace cool to 620c hold for 8hr/air cool

Hardness 37HRC

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you should spend some time to search and review the article below;

MICROSTRUCTURES AND THE STRUCTURE STABILITY OF INCONEL 725,A NEW AGE—HARDENABLE CORROSION RESISTANT SUPERALLOY
J.X.Dong[1], M.C.Zhang[1], S.K.Mannan[2]

And check out the papers by Special Metals.
First of all you need a way to know if they are carbides or some other phase.
And then you need to look at samples prior to HT.
And then you can identify what it really is, and decide if it matters (properties, corrosion resistance).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

I cant find that exact paper, however, I did find one that has suggested M23C6 and M6C type are typically precipitated at the grain boundarys as originally thought. I can't find any reference to the amount of precipitation typical for specific ageing times/temps.

According to the TTT diagram, the purpose and expected microstructure for the HT cycle is as below:

Annealing cycle :

1040C for 11 hrs à it will produce Eta phase and if its very long exposure time then sigma phase formation will happen, however with in 11hrs it will not form sigma phase.

Each annealing cycle has its own impact on mechanical properties.

Aging cycle for 20 Hrs:

1.       730C for 12 Hrs à M23C6/ M6C formation in grain boundary with gamma prime & double prime phase in the matrix.

2.       620C for 8 Hrs à hold inside the furnace to complete the total 20 Hrs cycle.

Checking:
If you want to check it then you can use SEM/EDX analysis for chemical composition checking.
Please refer the paper below

Are you sure that they grain boundaries were clean after the solution anneal?
What about properties? Does the material have the ductility that it should?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Unfortunately I don't have a comparison for after the solution anneal or any data regarding mechanical properties, the section is also too small to perform testing on. Kimkumvijay - that is the paper I referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back