Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Graphic card choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph2

Industrial
May 3, 2002
CA
I am getting a new computer built and upgrading from SW 2009 to SW 2011 at the same time. As this is more a home computer I would like to favor game type graphics over SW.. but still want SW to run "reasonably" well .
If I select something like a Asus Direct-Cu Top GTX670 card will SW install? run? My SW 2009 runs well enough on my current ATI All-In_Wonder 9600 (1994 era) without "Real View", something I hope to have with my upgrade.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, SolidWorks will install. It might run fine out of the box. You might have to tweak graphics settings. You might get instability issues. SW might not run. Without an approved card, it's a crap shoot.

You absolutely will NOT get RealView.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

My current choices
Asus P8Z77 motherboard
Intel Core i7-3770K CPU or the Intel Core i7-3820 have been advised both ways
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO heat sink
2x8GB memory chips
Samsung 830 SSD 120 GB
Asus Direct-Cu Top GTX670 graphics card
Silverstone Tech Strider Gold SST-ST75F-G Evolution 750W Power supply
Windows 7 Pro x64
Corsair Obsidian 550D case

My budget is what it takes but hopefully less than 2K Canadian$$

A GTX670 should run quite fine right out of the box. So you won't have to worry to much. The only real problem with gaming cards is overall performance with larger assemblies (and even then its mostly with shaded with lit edges turned on or with huge amounts of transparencies that will give you any slowdowns). Other than this a gaming card will most likely run fine. Lots of people will tell you otherwise but i've ran gaming cards alongside "pro" cards ever since i've been using SW (since SW97 Plus) and i've had just as much trouble (actually i think more so) with the 'pro' cards.

I recently switched one machine i use over from an 8800 GTX to a GTX670 and with the testing i ran before and after... there wasn't any kind of actual speed increase (which just tells me nVIDIA paralyze it more specifically nowadays then they used to). But having said that i don't have any real issues with normal use aside from what i mentioned above and from what i've seen there isn't that much of a difference with smaller assemblies (<1500 parts) from a Quadro 4000 anyway.

If the card doesn't perform as hoped for, why not buy a low-budget quadro and plug it next to the 670. I run a config with a gtx560 and a quadro 600 at home without any problems. You can even connect both cards to one screen, although two screens is easier to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back