Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Graphics window jagged edges (faceting) (update display)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCD429

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2015
US
Hello,

I've been using NX everyday for about a year and a half now. I would consider myself an advanced user. However, when it comes to graphics and performance settings I am still very confused.

This is not a critical issue, but it does drive me nuts, and can interrupt my workflow in some cases. What I am talking about is jagged lines (faceting ) when zooming in and out of parts and assemblies.

If it is relevant (and I think it is) the assemblies and parts I work with are never more than 5 feet wide, tall and long, and the smallest dimensions I work with are 0.001" one thousandth of an inch.

fig_1_-_jagged_edges_xzinq7.png

Jagged edges when zooming in.

fig_2_-_advanced_visualization_jagged_rvbsyp.png

Jagged edges in advanced visualization view.

What I have grown accustomed to doing is clicking the "Update Display" shortcut I created on the View tab of my Ribbon Menu. However, I know there must be a way to automate this. without using AutoHotkey or some other macro magic to click this button every 2 seconds.

fig_3_-_before_wtln8m.png

before clicking update display

fig_4_-_after_alojrn.png

after clicking update display

I have adjusted options and settings under Faceting many times, however it only updates the display when I click "ok" and then its back to the same old problem when zooming in and out.

fig_5_-_facet_settings_bicf71.png

my current facet settings

fig_6_-_performance_settings_g7iscj.png

current performance settings

fig_7_-_nx_version_r0fque.png

NX version

Thank you for any help or advice on this issue, I have seen similar threads in this forum, but none solved my problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think I may have solved my own problem.

By switching to Fixed facet settings, and selecting Fine I get an favorable balance of performance and visualization.

fixed_bpwqgl.png

Tried all levels, it just do not update view.
I set Customer defaults to view,fine, visible objects,align facets, but every time i open files visualization preferences are part, standard, visible objects, align facets not checked...

Ohhh, I know what you're talking about now.

You have to manually change the setting on all of your existing part files.

You can edit your main template file so that new files have this setting on.

customer defaults never work for me. I just make changes to the template file and then save it.

C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 10.0\UGII\templates

make sure to back up the files you change.

Found it.
It was actually in Visualization Performance Preferences, Shaded Views. Render Solids Using Stored Facets was ON, and before NX10 my company used NX 7,5 so they had to reduce rendering time do max out handling of huge assemblies. Now, when I unchecked it, parts looks like this:
2016-04-27_14-05-54_zzkeol.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back