Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Greek letters in Excel 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focht3

Geotechnical
Aug 23, 2002
US
I need to put Greek letters in an Excel 2000 spreadsheet - phi, gamma, rho, delta, etc. I've done it in Quattro Pro 10 by simply changing the font for the character in question, but it doesn't seem to work in Excel. Any suggestions? Thanks!

[pacman]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yep!

type the a-b-c letters in UPPER and lower case in two adjacent columns. change the format to "symbol" and observe the results.

this can also be applied to "in-cell" editing.

fyi, for other special characters, try fonts wingdings and webdings.
-pmover

Focht3

pmover is exactly right.

FYI all the MS products that I've seen do the same thing with <INSERT> <SYMBOL> Word, PowerPoint etc....

You can also use the Character Map utility that's usually in Start Menu|Programs|Accessories|System Tools. It gives you a nice little preview of the characters so you don't have to guess what the result will be.

TTFN

You can also use ASCII charactors with Alt key combinations:
Hold Alt, type the number, and release.
Here are a few that may be of interest. They do not show up in HTML format, so I won't display them here.
Alt-248, Alt-237, Alt-235
Alt-234, Alt-233, Alt-232
Alt-231, Alt-230, Alt-229
This is a little quicker for frequently used symbols.

DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

That's how you do it! I've been inserting the symbols in M$ Word, then I would Copy the symbol, and then Paste it into the Excel cell(s) as needed.

Later,
Ken

I tried the suggestion by dsi, but it is not working.
Is it because:
1. the excel is xp
2. it's the laptop??
help!
Thanks!

Luk-

On some keyboards, you have to use the other Alt key.

Sounds strange, but it matters.

Remember...
&quot;If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet.&quot;

If you do not need to perform functions with the letters, you can insert what you need using Microsoft Equation 3.0 (this is an add in to office that you might need to install depending how you have configured your set-up).

From the Excel toolbar pick; Insert; then Object; the Microsoft Equation 3.0

This starts a powerful tool that lets you write equations exactly as they would appear in a text book. It includes just about everything one would ever use, including a help file that is pretty good. You can even combine operations and the symbols would adjust automatically to look appropriate (you can have a fraction with a radical in the numerator and a triple integral in the denominator)

I use it regularly to show equations in both Excel and Word.

If you do need to perform functions with the letters, I recommend the &quot;Symbol&quot; font.

Luk,

I tried the ASCII character codes and it wouldn't work for me either. Then I found the trick is to use the numeric keypad (on a PC keyboard). With our laptop, I had to set &quot;Num Lock&quot; and use the keys with the numbers in small boxes. i.e. 2 corresponds to the 'K' key.

Give that a try. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back