Grinding causing marks on skin 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleycr

Electrical
Oct 26, 2010
GB
Hi guys

Ive started a new job about 6 weeks ago where i now regularly use a grinder to cut/grind steel. I always aim my the spray of sparks away from me but there are some that get away in random directions. They often hit me in the arms and in the face leaving marks. Which for a reasonably young guy isnt good i like to look my best for the ladies. Now arms are easy overalls down gloves on. But face?? Full face visor?? Any advice welcome. I always use goggles.

A

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be wearing a hard hat so get one that has a face shield that you can use when you wear the hat backwards. If you can find one with an additional shield across the bottom of the regular shield. This will keep the sparks off your neck.

Have you polled the ladies to properly ascertain that you are dealing with a conservable asset to begin with, or are you - pardon the pun - just grindstock?

Sorry, couldn't help it. Wear welding leathers, gloves and a face shield. This is a no-brainer.

"Why should i be wearing a hard hat out of interest???"

Because without the hat, the face shield will just fall to the ground. Although, you could staple the shield to your face, but the staple marks may look worse than the burn marks you are trying to avoid.

Personally I would go with the shield-attached-to-hat method!

:)

Adriaan.
I am an Engineer/part time student (Mechatronics) from South Africa.
Advice from lecturer: "Be warned - when you go into industry your boss will give you a thousand things to do and he wants them done yesterday!" So far he is right...

bithkits,

You know they do make face shields with head band attachments that do not require a hard hat.

If there is no danger from falling objects or where there is no vessels to crawl thru or pipes in close proximity then I see no need to have a hard hat on.

The facility I work in does not require them in that all work is done at a work table with no overhead hazards.

Robert P.

LOL Robert! I was just being silly. Sorry :)

Adriaan.
I am an Engineer/part time student (Mechatronics) from South Africa.
Advice from lecturer: "Be warned - when you go into industry your boss will give you a thousand things to do and he wants them done yesterday!" So far he is right...

what type of grinder are you using, and what type of material? Personally, I usually set up small plexiglass shields to block the sparks from hitting me, it is much easier and less troublesome than wearing full head gear and such. You can saw cut them to whatever size you need, and just block them in or use magnetic indicator base to hold them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back