Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

GRIP remove parameters 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty239

Automotive
Jan 4, 2007
CN
I know grip is outdated but can anyone tell me if it had a command for removing parameters. I have some designs with 400 plus components all designed with parameters and the customer wants the designs with all parameters removed from the components. Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Smitty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Edit -> Feature -> Remove Parameters
Don't forget to use your Command Finder when locating commands that you cannot find, because they do get moved on occasion.
I am on NX8.5

You could use the Transform (you'll have to look-up the exact spelling) command to make a copy of you model, translating it 0,0,0 distance, and then delete the original solid body. Make sure you've archived a set of files with the feature data intact.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

My response was with respect to how you could write a GRIP program to do exactly what you were looking for. It's not all that hard to write a program that would open all of the files, one by one, in a folder, cycle the part model finding all surface and solid models. Making a copy by transforming them 0,0,0 distance and then deleting the original surface and solid models. And finally saving the part file.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

A journal is a program that you run. But, using a more modern programming language than GRIP. - I think that GRIP stopped adding new features somewhere end of 1990s.(?) Journaling is current.
A Journal has the benefit that one often can catch the bulk of the program by recording it step by step ( Same as the Macro feature. ) And then add by programming the bits and pieces making it a real program.
The Journal can then be run either compiled or non-compiled. The non-compiled is slower.

Regards,
Tomas

There are journal examples in the Siemens PLM knowledge center that show performing an operation on every part in a folder. I'm sure you could record a journal to remove the parameters, and then paste some of that code in to one of the samples.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

Hi Everyone
Can anyone give me some help with this program, it finds all the surfaces and solids but will not translate them. I put a line in to delete them and it will delete them but it will not translate them. Again, I am trying to copy the surfaces to remove the parameters. thanks

NUMBER/ i
NUMBER/ mat1(12)
ENTITY/ ent(999)
ENTITY/ ent1(999)

mat1 = MATRIX/TRANSL,0,0,0
&CURDIR = 'C:\temp_work\'
PRINT/&CURDIR
DOPEN

a10: DNEXT/IFEND,TERM: $$ read header of next file

FETCH/PART, &FNAME,IFERR, a10: $$ open part file

a20: INEXTE/ ALL
MASK/ 70

i = 1

LOOPii: ent(i) = NEXTE/IFEND, a30:

i = i + 1

JUMP/ LOOPii:

a30:
$$ DELETE/ ent

TRANSF/mat1, (ent(i))

Smitty

Try this modification

NUMBER/ i
NUMBER/ mat1(12)
ENTITY/ ent(999)
ENTITY/ ent1(999)

mat1 = MATRIX/TRANSL,0,0,0
&CURDIR = 'C:\temp_work\'
PRINT/&CURDIR
DOPEN

a10: DNEXT/IFEND,TERM:
read header of next file

FETCH/PART, &FNAME,IFERR, a10:
read header of next file FETCH/PART, &FNAME,IFERR, a10:
open part file

a20: INEXTE/ ALL
MASK/ 70

i = 1

LOOPii: ent(i) = NEXTE/IFEND, a30:

TRANSF/mat1, (ent(i))
i = i + 1

JUMP/ LOOPii:

a30:
$$ DELETE/ ent

@markrief Where is the "Siemens PLM knowledge center? I just looked in the download section of the Siemens PLM site, and didn't see anything like that.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

Thanks @cowski I thought maybe there was a library of samples you could browse, that I some how haven't found. I know PLM World used to have a library of grip files.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

Well, if you search for "nxopen sample", you can browse through the results. I seem to get pretty good results by adding a keyword or two after "nxopen sample". The menu on the left allows you to filter by language among other things.

www.nxjournaling.com

Your GRIP focus is holding you back. Apart from the fact that it's no longer enhanced and has no decent IDE, the other problem is that very few people remember how to use it, so it's hard to get help. If you asked for a journal to remove parameters, I'm sure you'd get one. Ask for GRIP program, and you're (mostly) on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back