Groove In Body Help Needed - NX11

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittToolEngineer

Aerospace
Aug 4, 2016
US
Greetings:

Attached is a model of what we call a buck that our part sets. The projected lines is the part perimeter. I am attempting to put a .100 wide x .100 deep groove around this perimeter and trying to make it such that the .100 stays normal to surface all the way around. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brent

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d7a9bc40-0f60-4696-ba49-857f320a9036&file=GROOVE_HELP.prt
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A sweep to face normals seems like the obvious choice but I was unsuccessful. I tried using thicken surface shown below but don't think this is exactly what your looking for.

Clipboard04_ugbevc.jpg

I made duplicate instance of a solid you already had in the file, offset one side and then subtracted it. I tried to apply an offset to the inner face but was unsuccessful. I then extracted the inner face, thicken and subtract.

Clipboard01_dhfnho.jpg

Interesting... What was the error?

My version info:

Version 1863
Part File Compatibility Saved parts can be opened in 1847 or later
Build 3502.318.103

Barnon,

I see now what you are doing. The problem is, I need that groove on the outside side of the part perimeter. I do notice when we offset inward (-.10), the offset occurs successfully. When I try to offset outward (+.10) it will not do it. This is why I'm having a problem with this one. Anyway, thought I would share, and thanks again for your time.

Brent

Yep... I noticed that as well. You'll notice the red dots on the problem areas when offsetting. Usually when a surface disappears and it doesn't know how to handle it.

Probably of no use but the pic below is several tubes driven by your perimeter line and then subtracted. I could see machining this with a ball end mill.

Clipboard01_mnlhz5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back