Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Groove Weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStructsteel

Structural
Aug 22, 2002
US
Im welding the butt end of an angle to the flange of a beam. I was going to call out a groove weld, like its two plates being welded together. Others in the past have called out a fillet weld, but I dont feel thats right.

The connection is just to brace a beam, and the client wants the angle flush with the beam flange. I personally would like to just have it under the flange and fillet welded two sides. But not the way they want it.

Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here you go Greenalleycat.
weld_htwhcq.jpg

I'm glad you posted a picture because that's not what I was picturing
I think what you call a groove weld is what we call a butt weld
In this detail I would be fillet welding the web of the angle and butt (groove) welding the flanges
I would not be notching the angle that much though, I'd try get the web against the underside of the beam flange and fillet weld that too

Alternatively, weld a piece of plate to the web/underside of flange of the beam then bolt it through the angle web?

I would still use a tab welded to the beam web/flange. This would be easier to assemble in the field, and it would give some adjustment to locate the brace at both ends.

If you were wanting the groove weld to be a CJP, the weld will require overhead welding. Using a tab would likely not need this weld at all.

Butt joint, but groove weld.

Note that there are some pretty severe limitations as to the penetration of these welds when neither side of the joint is "prepped".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back