Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H2S removal from air 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danzberg

Chemical
Nov 13, 2002
BR
What are the options to remove H2S from air?
I'm talking about H2S generated at wastewater plants and dispersed in the air or at sewage pumping stations.
May we use a pulverization of amine solutions in the air?

Harold Danzberg
Ambientech

The basic solution to H2S (as well as mercaptans, dimethly sulfide, dimethyl disulfide, etc.) is to oxidize the sulfide to sulfate. This has been done conventionally in a packed tower (wet scrubber) using caustic and hypochlorite (or other oxidizing agent) as the scrubbing liquor. At pH 9 the H2S is solubolized and the oxidizing agent then does its work. As the other reply indicates - biological systems have been gaining favor because rather than buy the chemicals just mentioned, a naturally occuring bloom of Thiobacillus (several species exist) will develop in a properly designed and maintained biotrickling system and the bugs will convert sulfides to sulfates in their life process for free. Bio systems operate at much lower gas velocities than chemical scrubbers, so system size for a large air flow will require a large vessel or probably multiple vessels. At a pump station - where the air flow is low - a bio system may be ideal - low cost to fabricate, can be automated - no hazardous chemicals needed. More information about both wet scrubbing and biotrickling odor control can be found on our web site

I understand the alternatives described by Deltacasacade and jilmed.
There is a little problem to use these alternatives.
We cannot confine the odor source to use a biofilter or srcubber.
These odor sources are dispersed around the site and each one needs an odor control.
Other place with H2S is the sewagwe pumping stations located inside houses neighbourhood.

Harold

Another option to consider is carbon scrubbing. At many of our wastewater pump stations and some of our smallest plants we have small (55-gallon drum) to medium sized carbon systems in use. The odors are non-detectable and we infrequently have to change out the carbon. Many of our systems are using Calgon's Centaur carbon which can utilize water washing to extend the life, (though we haven't tried yet).

Is there any possibilities for chemical (corrosion inhibitor)containing thioglycolic acid and/or imidiazoline thioglycolate to produce hydrogen sulfide?
In what condition would it be decomposed (pressure, temperature)? How long would it be decomposed and to what extent is the decomposition (ie.certain concentration of thiolgycolic acid and/or imidiazoline thioglycolate will produce how much h2s)?
please be kind to reply the answer at piglet275@lycos.com
Thank you very much.

Confining the odour is commonly done at locations just such as you describe by using GRP covers. I have extensive experience of such an approach. These covers may them be connected using fans and ducting to a central location.

This location may have biological, chemical or catalytic chemical scrubbers, carbon filters, activated alumina beds,or ozone contactors.

Alternatively, it is possible to dissolve the H2S by increasing the pH, or inhibit H2S production using nitrate or other proprietary chemicals.

There are any numbers of firms here in the UK offering such services. I assume the US is no different.

You might consider using a smaller in vessel biofilter for the sewage stations in the neighborhoods. The City of Portland (Oregon) has one on a sewage station where there were previously complaints. Check out They have low flow biofilters.

I would definatly consider ozone as an alternative. In the degassing of odors at wet wells/ collection stations it is a natural. The use on scrubbers has also been done. For more information go to our web site at

Sorry for late response. The best way, in terms of cost and convenience, is to inhibit its biological formation in the collection system, or to scavenge the H2S while its still in the water. H2S of 1 ppm in water will yield up to 200 ppm in the air, so eliminating in the water is the cheapest way.

Bt the way, don't forget how expensive scrubbers and biofilters are, and the electricity for these large blowers must be considered when looking at total cost of ownership.

More questions, email me.

Zeolites seems to be the best choice for removing H2S from air, but if high temperature removal is required metaloxides such as zinc oxide or copper oxides or their mixed oxides in a non catalytic fixed bed reactor are widely used.

Another way of treating H2S in the gas phase is to use BioTRickling Filters, a form of biological scrubber.

Often when you remove the H2S you will find other low odour concentration compounds that produce an offensive smell, so you might need to consider polishing technologies such as Biofilters or Activated carbon to remove these components (such as dimethyl sulphide, dimethyl disulphide and other VOCs).

Dosing the sewer is probably more effective as a corrosion control & asset management tool, rather than odour control. You need to be careful of not affecting sewerage quality & you are also assuming all the odour is H2S.

As mentioned above if the odour is complex sulphide, nitrogen or VOC based then dosing may not be the whole solution.

Hope this helps

If you would like more advice contact Clean TeQ in Australia,

ctairman

Hi there,

There are alternative low cost / non hazardous solutions to your problem and specifically to “open space” odor control.

Regards - Allen

To remove H2S from the air - from 5ppb to 50000 ppm (inside process vessels & tanks - have a look at the site
If you are still in doubt please feel free to contact me at (713) 907 2088 - have lots of experience with "worker environment" projects, including process & toxic odors removal and elimination of nuisance odor complaints. I am not operating as a consultant thus my advise is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back