Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hand Calculations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrMikee

Structural
Apr 23, 2005
US
I am curious how many people still do hand calculations for structural analysis and steel design, or know of someone who does? Things like moment distribution, combined stresses, and so on. When are hand calcs appropriate, or not. Does anyone have opinions about this?

Just wondering. [ponder]

Best Regards,
-Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dinosaur,

I was able to order the booklet from "Out of Print" documents at AISC's Web Site. But the version they list ($10 for members)is dated 1970, with no updates available.
Thanks for the tip.

Jim

Jim,

Wait till you get it, you will wonder how you ever got along without it. Let me know when you get around to setting up the Mathcad worksheet on the three span continuous problem.

Good Luck - Ed

I've only had about 9 months of experience since graduating with my MS but I'd have to say that my firm is about 50-50 in regards to hand calcs and software. We use both Risa and RAM products to model structural systems, but tend to design typicals sections, simple beams and frames, slabs, retaining walls, etc. by hand. We've had good experience with the RAM software for steel design and are making use of it to automate beam design for some garages and concrete buildings we're currently working on.

We make extensive use of ENERCALC as a check of hand calcs and software output from the modeling software. Most of us use tons of MathCAD templates and Excel spreadsheets for repetative design processes, like torsion in concrete beams, snow loading, and anchor bolt connections, to name a few.

Also, whenever I personally run into something that is unique, like FRP reinforcement for example, I prefer MathCAD to spreadsheets because I can easily track the process of design and analysis. Most of my templates are crammed with notes and references to Code requirements and textbooks. Most of use tend to whip up a quick diagram or sketch to include in those templates to clarify input/output too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back