Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hand Tools and Power Tools 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Christianto

Industrial
Oct 12, 2019
ID
Hi, before we go to main topic, this is my first time making a thread in here, so I am really sorry if I make mistakes here.

So I am working at online company that provides industrial equipment. I was pointed to be the man in charge in category Hand Tools and Power Tools. But sadly, I've no knowledge about both of them (eventhough I'm majoring in Industrial Engineering xD).
But I am willing to learn about it, so can u guys give me leads where can I learn it?

Fyi, my job is mapping Customers's inquiry (about hand tools and power tools) to see whether my company can provide it or not, and what alternative product can we sugggest for them. That is the biggest problem here, I dont know what specs is important so it is hard for me to give alternative.
Here the example about what I do:
1. Customer asks for Inside Circlip Pliers 1.8MM and Metal Drill Bit HSS-G 12.5X101MM
2. My company only have Inside Circlip Pliers 1.3MM and Inside Circlip Pliers 2.3MM
and for the Metal Drill Bit only have size 12X101MM
3. Can I give, them as alternative product to customer?

Well, thats it, actually this just an example from my problem, There are many things I wanna ask, but lets start from here I think :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So for a case like this it is likely that the circlip pliers have a range, you need to go back to the manufacturers description and see if that is the case.
With drill bits people usually want the exact size that they request, no deviations.
Sounds like you need some real hands on experience.
Maybe one of your big customers would be willing to show you how they use the stuff that they get from you.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Thanks for the respond EdStainless
Yeah, thats true, I lack of experience in real life hahah thats why I am searching and willing to read some instruction or anything that can be useful hahaha
and btw, I cant ask the customer like u suggest, they will think that my company is not profesional or smthing like that hahah

Find a customer that you have good relations with and ask your boss to approach them and simply say that you are new to the business and want to see what people do with all of the tools that you supply. There are many customers that would fully understand and be willing to help out.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Michael Christianto:
Ask your boss for help. He knows you are new at this business and work, and the company can’t be in this business without other people, within the company, who already know what you are going to have to learn. If they want you to develop, they have to be willing to allow you to ask questions of the experienced people, and get their help, willingly. He should hook you up with a couple of those people as mentors. But, you must be a quick learner, not a pest, not the same question twice, etc. Also, learn to connect with your suppliers, by phone and through their web sites. You should be able to see all the drill types and sizes they have to offer, even if you don’t have it in stock. And, they might even help you find it, if they don’t have it. That is their job, at their company, the same job you are trying to learn at your company, serving customer’s needs. Get to know someone who you can count on at each supplier, on a first name basis, they will save your bacon many times. Generally, there shouldn’t be anything wrong with saying we don’t have that in stock at the moment, but I’ll get it for you. Then, be sure to follow through. It is also reasonable to ask your customer questions about what else might meet their needs; i.e. we have these drill sizes in stock, one slightly larger and one slightly smaller, would one of them work, we could send that immediately. On your own time, in your spare work time, study suppliers web sites for info. on all various products. Old catalogs would be good too. Some still probably exist in your office, and the basic technical knowledge will not have changes much, if at all.

I don't necessarily see it as a lack of experience and rather, it seems to be more of an issue with thought process, given the wealth of information available on the web.

> The circlip pliers 1.8 mm -- a simple search on the web shows that the dimension refers to the diameter of the tip, which other sites show the tip to be the part that goes into the little holes in the clip.
That means that the 2.3 mm alternative isn't, although the 1.3 mm alternative is small, it could possibly work

> the drill bit 12.5x101mm -- again, a web search shows that the first dimension is the diameter, while the second is the length. 50/50 that the diameter needs to be precise, but there are occasions where drilling a pilot hole does not need to be as precise.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Michael Christianto,
Does the company you work for have a customer fulfillment center, where the parts are actually pulled and shipped?
If you do, you need to enlist the help of a more experienced hand, someone you can mentor with, to show you the ropes, to explain the criteria for selecting a product. Whilst the posters on here can stab at what you are trying to learn and give you pointers, you really need to work shoulder to shoulder with an experienced parts man who can explain to you the options for selecting a particular part, and whether a substitute is acceptable or not. As a general rule with drill bits, the diameter is not, an option, although you may be able with the customers approval fudge on the length.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Like it has already been said by these good folks you need to research and question as much as possible about the products.

To be honest you have been dropped in the deep end with no training here. Hope you work it out.

John@Tool Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back