Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Water Problem 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJZ

Civil/Environmental
Jun 29, 2000
US
I have an evaporative gas cooling system which uses fairly hard water. Inlet gas temperatures are typically around 800F, but can be as high as 1000F. Not surprisingly, the calcification that forms on the water spray nozzles affects the quality of the spray and, therefore, the effectiveness of the cooling. Besides installing a water softening system, someone thought there was a special steel available that inhibited the calcification process. If so, the spray nozzles could possibly be made from this steel. Has anyone heard of such a steel?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Like bimr said, "end of discussion".
Any promotion of magnetic water treatment may require flagging to the administrator for removal from the site.
.. at risk of sounding like one who would "cut Copernicus' head off for 'blasphemy'", this is professional engineering, applied science, not blue-sky. Let the scientists rebute it again and again .. we've got other work to do ;-)

DeltaCascade:

I think magnets are worthy of discussion. We, as engineers, need to educate people becuase I see a lot of this junk engineering out there. Nothing frosts me more that to go, mostly to industrial sites, and see an elaborate magnetic treatment system on water supply lines. I don't ask the normal engineering questions, like how is it performing, I ask...who engineered that? Why? I have always gotten back answers that lead to salespeople, and have yet to date got any engineering on any of the installations I observed.

The wanna-be engineering that takes place out there is harming people and I think we need to be a strong voice to offer people engineering opinions to help them ferrit out junk engineering. Having people promote it here allows us to tell the real story, and educate...a win-win for all...

take care....

BobPE

Yes. BobPE, that is appreciated. There are many other discussion threads on this topic in this forum already (with a refreshingly resounding consensus); its not our fault if the 'ducks' don't read them. Hopefully, we can keep this forum effective for engineering professionals, those whose very input we need most. Tx//

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back