Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardness conversion program 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayband

Materials
Apr 10, 2006
US
Does anyone know of a downloadable hardness conversion program (as opposed to conversion table) where one can enter a Knoop or Brinell and get the RC or RB calculated conversion? We shouldn't have to squint at a table then mentally interpolate in this day & age.

RAYBAND
Rock Island Arsenal
AMSTA-RIA-SEM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Uconeer program is neat. It has the most different terms I've seen on one of these programs.

I agree that you have to be careful when using hardness conversions, especially when converting between micro, superficial, HRC, and Brinell. You have to take into account the microstructure you're testing especially if it's not homogeneous.

In the heat treat shop conversion is a valuable diagnostic tool in troubleshooting hardness problems on parts. So I can't discount conversions completely.

Thanks dbooker630. I had this program downloaded some years ago but had forgotten about it. It is neat. But I am looking for the conversion equation(s) used so I can put them in a spreadsheet to convert case depth microhardnesses to the HRC values called out in the spec. I could slog through writing the equations myself, but why should I when many others have already done it.

Sorry EDStainless, we all know the gospel, but hardness conversions are a fact of life.

RAYBAND
Rock Island Arsenal
AMSTA-RIA-SEM

rayband,

You can find a great deal of information, including conversion equations and uncertainty analysis, in ASTM E 140 and ISO 18265.

Thanks TVP. I am aware of those specs and the equations in E 140, but many people including those who write the software for all microhardness hardware and many others have already done that. I am just lazy; I hate to have to spend time doing (redoing, really) what so many others have already done. Knowing that those equations have been written into software so many times for so many years by so many people (including the Uconeer conversion program), it just grinds me to have to do it myself. To me it is like having to forge your own hammer from bar stock just to drive a nail. How much engineering time is wasted having to do relatively menial tasks that many others have already done just because it is not available to you? This is why eng-tips fora is so exciting and valuable to us. Thanks to all.

RAYBAND
Rock Island Arsenal
AMSTA-RIA-SEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back