Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardness Conversion Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdodd

Automotive
Jul 18, 2001
AU
Is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction to access Brinell to Vickers and Rockwell hardness conversion tables for grey or ductile cast iron. Maybe through the British Foundrymens Association or its American Equivalent.

Thanks in Advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are no accurate correlations for gray and ductile irons - The impression size is so different between the different methods and the presence of large graphite flakes or nodules make comparison of results impossible. In my view the only hardness scale that should be used for these materials is Brinell with a 3000 kg load.

For grey irons and ductile irons due to the large discontinuites in the matrix due to the presence of graphite,hardness measurements are normally done with a large indenter . this would even out the inaccuracies in measurement. Hence the hardness is not reported in Vickers and in Rockwell a ball indenter (5mm or 10mm dia) is used.

Carburize and Arunmao

I know where you are coming from in your comments regarding hardness testing and indentor size applied to cast iron. Unfortunately the Japanese still measure ferrous castings with a Vickers Hardness tester and quote Vickers Hardness requirements in their specifications. For this reason I need to convert the requirement to a Brinell Hardness so the foundry making the parts can determine whether the parts conform to Spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back