Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having trouble following Trane example unit selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomUserName

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2014
US
The following section is directly from the Trane SCWG Brochure (Unitary Vertical Self-Contained System). This is their example selection procedure:

--------------------------------------------

Design Conditions
Total gross capacity required = 368.7 MBh = 31 Tons
Total sensible capacity required = 259 MBh

Entering air temperature = 80/67°F
Entering water temperature = 85
gpm = 105

Selection Procedure
Airflow = 14200 cfm at 2.5-inch duct static pressure
Unit to include:
Constant Volume
Waterside economizer
Medium velocity throwaway filters

Unit Selection
Tentatively select a 35 ton unit. Refer to Table 13, p. 36 to obtain gross total and sensible unit
capacities, and gpm at the design conditions:

Total capacity = 370 MBh
Sensible capacity = 282 MBh
LWT = 95.4°F

Since the design cfm is greater than the nominal cfm, adjust the capacities and condenser water
delta T to reflect the higher cfm:

design cfm/nominal cfm 14,240/14,000 + 3% from nom. Cfm

Refer to Table 6, p. 29 to obtain the capacity correction factors for +3% of nominal cfm:

Cooling capacity multiplier = 1.005
Sensible capacity multiplier = 1.014

Multiply the capacities by the correction factors:

370 MBh x 1.005 = 371.85 MBh
282 MBh x 1.014 = 285.95 MBh

The SCWG 35 meets the total and sensible design requirements.

--------------------------------------------

I am not understanding the logic here I was hoping those with more experience than me could teach. See items in bold above. Their unit selection is for Qt = 368.7 MBh and Qs = 259 MBh. I would assume this means they have a latent load of Ql = 368.7 - 259 = 109.7 Mbh they need the coil to remove.

Their final unit selection has numbers of Qt = 371.85 MBh and Qs = 285.95 MBh. This would mean the coil can only condense Ql = 85.9 MBh out of the airstream.

Is this not a bad selection? I would think they would have humidity issues if the latent load was not met. I am under the impression that in this case, you would either reduce the fan speed if possible - making sure you are still meeting your sensible load and OA requirement - or "bump up" to the next size unit - in this case from 35 ton to 40 ton - to get your latent load.

Could you guys help a young engineer understand the logic here?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect that the reduction of the latent heat load from 109.7 Mbh to 85.9 Mbh may be due to a higher dew point on the fins when the CFM was increase by 3%. A higher dew point on the fins will mean a lower quantity of water vapor being cooled efficiently.

chicopee,

This is not my project. The text above is directly from the Trane SCWG Brochure. It is an example. I like to read their selection procedure to make sure I understand their logic.

So then you would agree with my original post text of:

"Is this not a bad selection? I would think they would have humidity issues if the latent load was not met. I am under the impression that in this case, you would either reduce the fan speed if possible - making sure you are still meeting your sensible load and OA requirement - or "bump up" to the next size unit - in this case from 35 ton to 40 ton - to get your latent load."

?

Remember that your design requirements are :
Total gross capacity required = 368.7 MBh = 31 Tons
Total sensible capacity required = 259 MBh

The selected unit was :
370 MBh x 1.005 = 371.85 MBh
282 MBh x 1.014 = 285.95 MBh

which satisfies the requirements. The coil performance would "play along" the actual requirements (at given airflow), so your SHR will still be satisfied.

This is from TRANE ( I see different numbers)
Selection Example
Design Conditions
Total gross capacity required = 420 MBh = 35.2 Tons
Total sensible capacity required = 315 MBh
Entering air temperature = 80/67°F
Entering water temperature = 85
gpm = 105
Airflow = 14200 cfm at 2.5-inch duct static pressure
Unit to include: Inlet guide vanes,Waterside economizer.
Medium velocity throwaway filters
Unit Selection
Tentatively select a 35 ton unit,model SCWG 35. Refer to Table PD-13 (page 33) to obtain gross total and
sensible unit capacities, and gpm at the design conditions:
Total capacity = 439.4 MBh
Sensible capacity = 329.7 MBh
LWT = 95°F
Since the design cfm is greater than the nominal cfm, adjust the capacities and
condenser water delta T to reflect the higher cfm: design cfm 14240 +3% from nom. cfm nominal 4000 cfm
Refer to Table PD-1 (page 25) to obtain the capacity correction factors for +3% of nominal cfm:
Cooling capacity multiplier = 1.005
Sensible capacity multiplier = 1.016
Multiply the capacities by the correction
factors:
439.4 MBh x 1.005 = 441.6 MBh
329.7 MBh x 1.016 = 335.0 MBh
The SCWG 35 meets the total and sensible design requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back