Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDPE for Compressed Air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annonymous

Mechanical
Sep 7, 2005
US
I have been doing some research on this topic and I've found that there are mixed feelings.

My question is, can I use HDPE pipe (DR7) for an underground compressed air system at around 170psi? I'll start with what I found.

B31.8 has a limit of 100 psi on thermoplastic pipe. But this is for gas transmission and distribution, the question is with compressed air. Then again, why the limit?

B31.3 specifically states "No PVC in compressed air systems" period. But does not say anything about HDPE and it gives the formula to calculate the pressure rating on thermoplastics. Which for DR7 it's well above 170psi.

I have heard about detrimental effects from oxygen on thermoplastics... does it apply to HDPE?

I'd appreciate anyone's help/opinion on this. Thx.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting.

I am not familiar with that method.

We usually plow it in:

Or we dig an open trench and spool it in:

Much faster than the hydraulic ram method I think.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Take a look at Asahi America, product called Air Pro. It is a HDPE product specifically designed for compressed air. They have had considerable experience and success in the railrod industry with this product. It may be worth giving them a call as I believe it would be considerably less costly than SS!

Thanks for the heads up stanweld. I did think about the chlorides in the ground but since we are using clean fill and the soil is not contaminated, I believe the SS is still the safe.. or safer.. way to go. ...and yeah, it's only money right? :/

jdarco: I had not heard about this pipe. I will take a look. Thx for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back