Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HDPE Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

myck

Mechanical
Nov 26, 2013
PH
We are working with HDPE tanks for a specific project. Piping are expected to connect onto the nozzles of the HDPE tanks. In regard to this, do we allow any loads to be carried by the tank nozzles or shall we use diaphragm to avoid transfer of piping loads onto the tank nozzles and tank wall. Is there any reference document that provide rules for nozzle loading on plastic tanks?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Contact the tank suppliers for the tanks in question. If they don't have any way to evaluate nozzle stiffness or loads, that would answer the question.

I am working on a project in SE Michigan to receive RR tank cars of Canadian Tar Sands Crude to transload to heated storage tank or to trucks. Knowing this product to be like bitumen how do I heat the tank car(s)for discharge. Is it steam or hot water and in either case what sort of steam capacity do I need?
In addition, how much heat do I need to keep warm a 1 million gallon storage tank of the same product. Howard

How many GLS per RR tank and What's the incoming temp and desired warm temp.
Knowing that you can calc a btuh conversion. Usually steam is supplied to the tank/car thru a ready heat exchanger inside the tank.
To keep one million gl heated, you will need the above data to calculate boiler horsepower capacity. Genblr.

How many GLS per RR tank and What's the incoming temp and desired warm temp.
Knowing that you can calc a btuh conversion. Usually steam is supplied to the tank/car thru a ready heat exchanger inside the tank.
To keep one million gl heated, you will need the above data to calculate boiler horsepower capacity. Genblr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back