Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat resistant "body filler"

Status
Not open for further replies.

grippy

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2003
AU
Am looking for advice re a heat resistant "body filler" (similar to auto body filler) capable of withstanding 200-230 degrees C.

For use on steel, CrMo & aluminium alloys to fill small surface imperfections and "dents" prior to powder coating (cured @ the above temps)

Many thanks.

Jon Weaving

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Grippy The "magic metal"type fillers are basically a resin with either powdered slate, talc,,or similar inert filling powder. Possibly there are some high class resins that have some strength remaining at 230 temp but i would be dubious if such resins are compounded into filler pastes for the motor trade - - maybe I am wrong - - maybe there is a special one for auto silencer patching - -but please do not believe all that is written in sales data sheets. buy a tiny amount and test it first in your baking oven. if it blisters the paint then you could try baking the casting after filling holes but before applying finished powdwer coat. ie this heat will fully cure the resin and "gass off " any entrained solvent fumes. Trouble is that resins shrink on curing so a big repair might then fall out .Mayb e you could use solder ? or Fire cement ? good luck D W

Bear in mind that most of these fillers are non-conducting and liable to out-gassing. Being non-conductive will affect the way that normal electrostatic powder coat lays onto your item.

Good Luck
johnwm

UK steam enthusiasts:

Thank you both for your input. As engineers in the Bicycle industry, part of our work is finish coating after frame repairs and I was looking for a filler (per above requirements) for purely cosmetic "dents" (those not threatening frame integrity) so as to avoid undue application of heat (per welded repair/fill) in what is almost universally (for dents in bike frames, it seems) the centre area of tube lengths. Frame damage at a joint gives us the opportunity of employing gussets for both a structural and cosmetic repair, but unfortunately does not help in these cases.

My company doesn't do any "wet" spray finishing so maybe in these instances we would simply have to "fill" and outsource the finish coats rather than powder coating? I was hoping for a quick and simple solution, but of course.... Oh well.

Thanks again.

Jon Weaving

1 sugestion for you is lead work or brass fillers, these are both conductive and i know that brass is used in chroming and powder coating, i'm not sure about lead but its an option to try. Hope this works, Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back