Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

heatload calc on windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpmann

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2010
NA
what is the the formula to calculate solar gain through window pane
SHGC x area x solrad level
or
SHGC x SC (Shade coef of glass) x area x solrad level

not taking into account the shade coef of blinds or awnings

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can do calcs based on the angles as you suggest, but for quicker results look in ASHRAE Fundamentals. I don't have access to it at the moment, but I believe there are tables in there that list expected btuh per square foot of glazing, based on the orientation of your window face (North, South, East, West) and the location of your building.

see:
TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

you use one or another, depending on what your software demands.

if you use manual formula, look what is stated in formula, there should be no ambiguity.

though i believe you need much more preparation before you start out... on course of cooling load calcs as a minimum IF you already completed basic thermodynamics courses, otherwise you are walking in dark.

it is not that this forum will give you one tip or another, but if you do not have overall understanding of everything, there is high probability you will make large mistake.

I could be off base here, but I thought SHGC and SC were 'basically' the same thing. I would have to ask one of my EIT's but I thought SC = SHGC/0.87 or vice versa.(at certain condtions)... ASHRAE Fundamentals Fenestration chapter will have it explained better than my memory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back