Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

heavy duty quick connects for testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeinpa

Electrical
Nov 12, 2006
US
Need ideas for a way to quickly connect fairly heavy motor leads (up to ~2 AWG) for test purposes...

I like those little terminal strips for small wires where each one has a little lever you lift up to remove contact pressure. Does anyone know of a vendor who makes these in jumbo sizes?

Maybe I should start a company! :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thinker said:
Consider using MELTRIC connectors (range 30A-200A)
I doubt you are, but you sound like a salesman for Meltric. Didn't listen to the "customer" who JUST got through saying why he did not want to waste money on pin type connectors, then say "use pin type connectors".

Jraef,
I am not a salesman for Meltric (or anyone else). I used those connectors (series DS, 200A) in design of heavy duty AC dynamometer with quick disconnect requirement, and we had quite positive results. The only tricky issue was to provide a motor cable shield continuity through extensively gasketed parts of the connector.

Before anyone accuses me of being a salesman for Leviton...Have you considered a product like this?[]
Simple, reusable matched male/female insulated high amperage sigle pin connectors..relatively inexpensive.This particular part is rated for up to 300A and is sized for #2AWG-2/0..Simple set screw to attach to your cable.
Similar product is made by others. They are generically referred to as "Cam-lok" connectors.

Check Wago.com. they make these that handle this size. You can also search thier distributors in your area to purchase. I sale these in the Dallas area and customers love em. Cost is about $18ea and you wont find an easier solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back