Helical gear design, where to start?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourkraut

Materials
Mar 29, 2007
NZ
Hello Gear heads!!

I am looking for some help to a problem I have regarding designing helical spur gears. I know the forces and the ratio that I have to design for but I am not sure what steps I need to take to choose/design a proper working gear system.
some info about the parameters:
Pinion:D=150 Nm=350 RPM=800
Gear:D=38
Ratio:(approx)1:4

I have found plenty of material explaining how to define the gears once a modul and pitch angle have selected, but no where do I find pros and cons.

The system should be made to have as little play as possible and production costs should be neglected at this point.

I appreciate any help, clues and or tips that can be given.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are attempting to design a transmission from scratch then I would highly recommend you employ the services of a Gear Design Consultant. There are several listed on the AGMA website.

To help put you on your journey of discovery you'll need to get hold of at least one of the following books;

'Gear Handbook' by Dudley.
'On The Geometry Of External Involute Gears' by Khiralla.
'Fundamentals Of Gear Design' by Drago.

I found my copies on Amazon and EBay.

Also, try to figure out exactly what it is that you are asking/require and do a Google search for your answer. If you put enough effort and time into it then most of your questions will be answered.

Good luck!

Ron Volmershausen
Brunkerville Engineering
Newcastle Australia

Most bearing or gear manufacturers would be glad to help you design your gears and manufacture them for you. I would submit your full application data to them. You must have some idea of the envelope size. If you insist on designing them yourself, the books submitted by gear cutter are only a start. There is even software available to help you. We all wish you luck in your continued growth in gear design.

I have found that some local gear shops tend to choose modules based on what hobs they have available on their shelves and nothing more

Either way, I am in the same boat as you - I have found that consulting various gear shops to be the best solution...

Adriaan.
I am a Mechatronics Engineer/part time Master's student from South Africa.

I have consulted a few shops here in the area and called around for some offers on transmissions that will do the simple gearing that I need and it is no magical feet.

I don't want to sound like a know it all, but to put two gears together can not be so difficult, especially with the level of load and rpm that they are under.

When the project is finished I will be happy to share my results and of course keep tabs on how the gears hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back